Modelling a short square-wave pulse with Telegrapher's Equation

In summary, the Fourier coefficients of a periodic pulse approximation are determined by the Fourier approximation of the input pulse and the Fourier coefficient. The dispersion is due to the decay of the wave.
bearphys
I am interested in looking at the voltage component of a short (possibly nanosecond width) pulse in a coaxial cable along the cable at a given distance, Z, along the line. I am "cheating" by using the steady state Telegrapher's equation [Eq. 1] and formulating a periodic pulse approximation. It may not be desirable to use this steady state equation, but some form of the Telegrapher's Eq. is advised (suggestions for alternatives are appreciated). This is unlike my "physical" setup in which I will send a single pulse of information (microwave signal). I have determined Fourier approximation [Eq. 2] of my input pulse and the Fourier Coefficient [A]. My understanding is that the infinite series of circuits, as described by the Telegrapher's Equation, is dependent on frequency. I also recognize that I am going to use he Coefficent [A] as my "weighted" distribution of frequencies to calculate my inherent, frequency dependent components.

Eq. 1
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} V(x,t) =-L \frac{\partial}{\partial t} I(x,t) - R I(x,t)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} I(x,t) =
-C \frac{\partial}{\partial t} V(x,t) - G V(x,t)[/tex]​

Eq. 2
[tex]\frac{1}{2T} + \sum_{n=1}^{200} a_n \cos(\frac{2\pi n t}{T}) + b_n \sin(\frac{2\pi n t}{T})[/tex]​

In my summation, 200 is the current limit as to not consume too much time approximating in Mathematica.

where an is

[tex]\frac{2}{T}\int^{\frac{T}{2}}_{0}{\cos(\frac{2 \pi n t}{T})[/tex]​

and bn is

[tex]\frac{2}{T}\int^{\frac{T}{2}}_{0}{\sin(\frac{2 \pi n t}{T})[/tex]​

NB: I am only using an integration for half of my period because the square-wave is 1 from 0 to [tex]\frac{T}{2}[/tex] and 0 from [tex]\frac{T}{2}[/tex] to [tex]T[/tex]; Therefore, the second half of the period has an integration of zero.

My Fourier Coefficient is represented by [tex]b_n[/tex], since [tex]a_n[/tex] is effectively zero.

Therefore, my "weighted" frequency formula, that determines the frequency dependent terms of the Telegrapher's Equation is [tex]b_n[/tex].

Now, I have to admit, I know I should solve [Eq.1] with Dirichlet approach, due to the boundary conditions, but that is the limit of my knowledge on the matter. I want to know what my pulse looks like at some t, or z.

Can anyone offer some insight into solving this initial equation and determining the dispersed signal's wave equation?

NB2: As I am using Mathematica, I can attach the existing notebook if desired.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
bearphys,

As you have included resistive terms, this equation has (now) some dispersive properties.
All modes wil not be traveling at the same speed and the shape of a multimodal pulse will be modified during propagation.

Without the resistive terms, the propagation speed is v= w/k = eps 1/sqrt(LC) ,
where w is the angular frequency, k is the wavevector and v the wave velocity,
and eps means +1 or -1 .

It could be interresting to start by the analysis of weak damping.
When r and G are small enough, the wave will simply show an additional damping given by:

w/k = eps 1/sqrt(LC) - i (R/L+G/C)/(2k)

(this is a dispersion relation, approximated first order for small R and G)
(i is the imaginary constant = sqrt(-1))
(calculation to be checked)

This indicates that short wavelengths (large k) will be less attenuated than long wavelengths. Indeed, in complex notation, the wave will be represented by this kind of space-time dependance:

exp(i(k z - w t))

where w and k are related by the dispersion relation.

The time dependence can always be represented by a Fourier series, of course.
However, what you are looking for the decay of the signal along the transmission line.
Therefore, you need now to concentrate on representing the spatial dependance.
In your representation, you might assume that the an and bn are functions of z.
You need then to develop the differential equations for these functions.

I just realized there is a good wiki on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line" .
This wiki does even provide a compact approximate solution valid when the resistive terms are small enough:

a741e93ffe62898891323cecb2b1a7d5.png

In that case you can see that the dispersion is simply due to the decay of the wave.
Because of the decay along the line, the pulse is deformed.
Note how obvious this solution is again, except for the precise expression of the decay index.

You could use this approximation to get some insight on your method.
Indeed, by expanding this approximate solution in Fourier series, would could have a taste of what you are looking for.
Later on, you could try to get a general method valid even for large resistive terms, or for other sources of dispersion.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Telegrapher's Equation?

Telegrapher's Equation is a mathematical model that describes the propagation of electrical signals along a transmission line. It takes into account the capacitance, inductance, and resistance of the line to accurately predict the behavior of the signals.

2. Why is Telegrapher's Equation used to model a short square-wave pulse?

Telegrapher's Equation is commonly used to model short square-wave pulses because it can accurately capture the fast-changing behavior of the signals. It takes into account the finite speed of signal propagation, which is essential for modeling short pulses.

3. How is a short square-wave pulse represented in Telegrapher's Equation?

In Telegrapher's Equation, a short square-wave pulse is represented as a step function or a series of step functions. This allows for the representation of the rapid rise and fall of the pulse, as well as any reflections that may occur due to the characteristics of the transmission line.

4. What are the assumptions made in using Telegrapher's Equation to model a short square-wave pulse?

The main assumptions made in using Telegrapher's Equation to model a short square-wave pulse are that the transmission line is uniform, the line parameters are constant, and there are no external sources or loads present. These assumptions allow for a simplified and accurate representation of the pulse.

5. How does Telegrapher's Equation compare to other models for short square-wave pulses?

Telegrapher's Equation is considered to be a more accurate model for short square-wave pulses compared to other models such as the transmission line model or lumped parameter model. This is because it takes into account the distributed nature of the transmission line and can accurately capture the behavior of the pulse without simplifying assumptions.