Modes of Vibration of 3-DOF Spring Mass System

In summary, the author is having difficulty finding the modes of vibration and needs help from a teacher.
Reefy

Homework Statement

20171119_135837.jpg

Homework Equations

a11 = a21 = a31 = a12 = a13

a22 = a32 = a23

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
x_{1} \\
x_{2} \\
x_{3}
\end{bmatrix}
=ω^2m
\begin{bmatrix}
a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\
a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\
a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x_{1} \\
x_{2} \\
x_{3}
\end{bmatrix}
$$

$$x_{1} = a_{11}mω^2x_{1}+a_{12}mω^2x_{1}+a_{13}mω^2x_{1}$$
$$x_{2} = a_{21}mω^2x_{2}+a_{22}mω^2x_{2}+a_{23}mω^2x_{2}$$
$$x_{3} = a_{31}mω^2x_{3}+a_{32}mω^2x_{3}+a_{33}mω^2x_{3}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already completed part a. The natural frequencies are 0, 1 and square root of 3 rad/s.

I'm having difficulty finding the modes of vibration. I wanted to use the influence coefficient method where I select the left-most mass to undergo a unit force while keeping the other masses fixed. This would cause a deflection of the left-moss mass and give me my first influence coefficient a11. However, there is no spring to the left of this mass and I'm having trouble figuring out how to apply the influence coefficient method.

$$ a_{22} = a_{32} = a_{23} = \frac {1}{k}$$
$$ a_{33} = \frac {2}{k}$$
$$ a_{11} = a_{21} = a_{31} = a_{12} = a_{13}= ? $$

Attachments

• 20171119_135837.jpg
    20171119_135837.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,203
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are seriously constrained to this particular method, you had better talk with your teacher some more.

Is there another method that you know of? Can I set up a ratio of the amplitudes? My equations after assuming a solution of
X1,2,3 = Asinωt, Bsinωt, and Csinωt are

$$ A(1-ω^2) - B = 0$$
$$
B(2-ω^2) - A - C = 0
$$
$$
C(1-ω^2) - B = 0 $$

For a particular value of omega (0,1,root3), choose A=1 and solve for B and C. That will give you the mode vector for the particular omega value.

Likes Reefy
Ok, if I do that then I get A = C = 1, and then B will equal 1, 0, and -2 for the three different ω

Something seems off about that because if I say A = 1, then

$$A(1-ω^2) - B = 0 $$ $$→$$ $$B=(1-ω^2)$$

And

$$C(1-ω^2) - B = 0$$ $$→$$ $$C = B/(1-ω^2) = (1-ω^2)/(1-ω^2) = 1 $$

But I still have the equation for $$B(2-ω^2) - A - C = B(2-ω^2) - 2 = 0$$ $$→$$ $$B=2/(2-ω^2)$$ which will give me slightly different values for B

For omega = 0, I get for A=1, then B = C = 1. No inconsistency there, I think.

1. What is a 3-DOF spring mass system?

A 3-DOF (degrees of freedom) spring mass system is a physical system composed of three masses connected by springs that allow for three different types of motion: translational, rotational, and oscillatory. It is commonly used to model the behavior of mechanical systems in engineering and physics.

2. What are the modes of vibration in a 3-DOF spring mass system?

The modes of vibration in a 3-DOF spring mass system refer to the different ways in which the system can vibrate or oscillate. These modes can be classified as the fundamental mode, in which all three masses oscillate in phase, and the two higher modes, in which the masses oscillate with different frequencies and in different phases.

3. How do the stiffness and mass of the springs and masses affect the modes of vibration?

The stiffness of the springs and the mass of the masses directly influence the natural frequencies of the system, which in turn affect the modes of vibration. A higher stiffness will result in higher natural frequencies, while a higher mass will result in lower natural frequencies and a slower response to external forces.

4. What is the significance of studying the modes of vibration in a 3-DOF spring mass system?

Understanding the modes of vibration in a 3-DOF spring mass system is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It allows for the prediction and analysis of the system's behavior under different conditions, which is crucial in designing and optimizing mechanical systems for various applications.

5. How can the modes of vibration be experimentally determined in a 3-DOF spring mass system?

The modes of vibration in a 3-DOF spring mass system can be experimentally determined by conducting a modal analysis. This involves exciting the system at different frequencies and measuring the response of the system to determine its natural frequencies and corresponding mode shapes. This information can also be obtained through mathematical modeling and simulation techniques.