1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modified plano-convex lens doubt

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    I was thinking about the situation given my text about a plano convex lens which was produced with a manufacturing defect. It's plane surface is tilted outwards by a small angle 'z'. In the text its written that when a parallel light beam enters the lens parallel to x axis , it will still be able to focus it at:
    ##(R/(u-1) , -zR)## where u is refractive index of lens and R is the radius of curvature of curved surface of lens and lens is at origin with rays along x axis starting from negative infinity. How does this happen?

My analysis: I think the tilted surface is just for bending the ray(refraction) by a small angle 'r' and now we have Plano convex lens with parallel beam of light at an angle 'r'.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The plane surface of the lens is still flat, right? If so, what is -zR?

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    No. Plane surface is tilted at an angle z.

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about it this way- your lens is an ideal lens plus a wedge prism. does that help?

6. Dec 16, 2014 #5

Drakkith

It's tilted, but it's not curved, right?

7. Dec 16, 2014 #6
    Yes. Its not curved.

8. Dec 16, 2014 #7
    Igot the x-coordinate part. But how do you get the zR?

9. Dec 16, 2014 #8

Drakkith

Hmmm, I think your original analysis is pretty much correct. The tilted plane surface should just change the angle of the converging beam. I'm guessing -zR is the distance the new focal point is from the original focal point, but I'm not sure.

10. Dec 17, 2014 #9

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How about using the small angle approximation sin z = z?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook