Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modified plano-convex lens doubt

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    I was thinking about the situation given my text about a plano convex lens which was produced with a manufacturing defect. It's plane surface is tilted outwards by a small angle 'z'. In the text its written that when a parallel light beam enters the lens parallel to x axis , it will still be able to focus it at:
    ##(R/(u-1) , -zR)## where u is refractive index of lens and R is the radius of curvature of curved surface of lens and lens is at origin with rays along x axis starting from negative infinity. How does this happen?

My analysis: I think the tilted surface is just for bending the ray(refraction) by a small angle 'r' and now we have Plano convex lens with parallel beam of light at an angle 'r'.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The plane surface of the lens is still flat, right? If so, what is -zR?

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    No. Plane surface is tilted at an angle z.

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about it this way- your lens is an ideal lens plus a wedge prism. does that help?

6. Dec 16, 2014 #5

Drakkith

It's tilted, but it's not curved, right?

7. Dec 16, 2014 #6
    Yes. Its not curved.

8. Dec 16, 2014 #7
    Igot the x-coordinate part. But how do you get the zR?

9. Dec 16, 2014 #8

Drakkith

Hmmm, I think your original analysis is pretty much correct. The tilted plane surface should just change the angle of the converging beam. I'm guessing -zR is the distance the new focal point is from the original focal point, but I'm not sure.

10. Dec 17, 2014 #9

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How about using the small angle approximation sin z = z?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook