Using Modular Arithmetic to Solve Congruence Equations

• Thread starter jreis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, if you divide 2^11=2 (mod 11) by 2, you get a number that is a guess for what 2^10 mod (11) might be. If you can confirm that guess is true, you are done.
jreis

Homework Statement

Determine whether there is a positive integer k so that the congruence is satisfied.

2k ≡ 1 (mod 11)

Homework Equations

gcd(2k,11) = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know the answer is false. Because of Fermat's Little Theorem, 2k ≡ 2 (mod 11)

But I'm not satisfied with this answer. How could I show the answer to #1?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, Fermat's Little Theorem tells you 2^11=2 (mod 11). That doesn't tell you it's false because you only need to find one value of k such that 2^k=1 (mod 11). What can you do with 2^11=2 (mod 11)?

Modular multiplication is periodic.

Dick said:
No, Fermat's Little Theorem tells you 2^11=2 (mod 11). That doesn't tell you it's false because you only need to find one value of k such that 2^k=1 (mod 11). What can you do with 2^11=2 (mod 11)?

Oh good point... I'm not sure, I'm trying to work this out

If 2 =2 mod 11, that means 2=11k+2.
2 times that is 11(2k)+4 =4 mod k.
By fermat's little theorem above, if you repeat that process 10 times, you will get back to 2^11=2 mod 11, and the cycle repeats.
Either 1 mod 11 is in the first 10 powers of 2, or it won't be found in any of them.

jreis said:
Oh good point... I'm not sure, I'm trying to work this out

You are trying to solve 2^k=1 (mod 11) and you have 2^11=2 (mod 11). Look at those two things and try not to think very hard.

Dick said:
You are trying to solve 2^k=1 (mod 11) and you have 2^11=2 (mod 11). Look at those two things and try not to think very hard.
So do what RUber said? I feel like there is a faster way than checking 10 powers of 2... I know the answer is false from doing that. However, you are hinting at something simpler but I really don't know what. I just started learning modules.

You don't need to check the powers of two.
Notice that when you multiply (a mod 11) by two, your result (mod 11) will be 2a.
So you get:
2, 4, 8, 16 = 5 mod 11, 10, 20 = 9 mod 11, ...
If you get back to 2 without seeing 1, there is no power of 2 that will give you 1 mod 11.
However, you may be wondering how you got back to 2 if that is the case.

RUber said:
You don't need to check the powers of two.
Notice that when you multiply (a mod 11) by two, your result (mod 11) will be 2a.
So you get:
2, 4, 8, 16 = 5 mod 11, 10, 20 = 9 mod 11, ...
If you get back to 2 without seeing 1, there is no power of 2 that will give you 1 mod 11.
However, you may be wondering how you got back to 2 if that is the case.
Where are the 10 and 20 coming from?

Multiplying by 2. That's how this works.
16 = 5 mod 11, so 2*16 = 2*5 mod 11= 10 mod 11.
2(10 mod 11)= 2*10 mod 11 = 20 mod 11 = 9 mod 11.

Wait doesn't fermat's little theorem say 210 = 1 mod 11 ? That's all I need right

jreis said:
So do what RUber said? I feel like there is a faster way than checking 10 powers of 2... I know the answer is false from doing that. However, you are hinting at something simpler but I really don't know what. I just started learning modules.

I am hinting think about dividing 2^11=2 (mod 11) by 2. What does that give you? In general, you can't divide by an arbitrary number modulo something so just think of it as a guess. What is your guess for what 2^10 mod (11) might be? If you can confirm that guess is true, then you are done.

What is modular arithmetic congruence?

Modular arithmetic congruence is a mathematical concept that involves finding the remainder when a number is divided by another number. It is often used to solve problems related to repeating patterns, cycles, and periodicity.

What is the notation used for modular arithmetic congruence?

The notation used for modular arithmetic congruence is "a ≡ b (mod n)", where "a" and "b" are integers and "n" is the modulus. This means that "a" and "b" have the same remainder when divided by "n".

How is modular arithmetic congruence used in cryptography?

Modular arithmetic congruence is used in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is a key component of many encryption algorithms, such as the RSA algorithm, which relies on the difficulty of solving congruence equations to keep messages secure.

What are some real-life applications of modular arithmetic congruence?

Modular arithmetic congruence has many real-life applications, including in clock arithmetic, calendar calculations, and music theory. It is also used in computer science for tasks such as generating random numbers and error correction.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with modular arithmetic congruence?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with modular arithmetic congruence include confusing the modulus with the divisor, forgetting to reduce the numbers to their smallest possible remainders, and assuming that two congruences with the same modulus are equivalent.