Modular Arithmetic: Find Multiples, Understand the Reason

• I
  • Thread starter rashida564
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of factoring to investigate divisors of a given number and how it helps in finding the divisors of 6. It also mentions using congruences to solve the problem and clarifies that it is not a trial and error method.
rashida564
TL;DR Summary
Find a ∈ Z such that a^6 ≡ a mod 6
Hi everyone, I can find multiple of number for example 2,3,4 and so on. But is there any reason why those number does work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have ##6 \,|\,a^6-a=a(a^5-1)=a(a-1)(a^4+a^3+a^2+a+1)##, so the divisors of ##6## must be divisors of the factors on the right. E.g. ##a=3,4## are immediately clear, and ##a=2## is wrong, as ##2^6=64 \equiv 4\not\equiv 2 \operatorname{mod}6\,.##

Likes jedishrfu
Is it try and error method?

Another way to look at it is that your congruence is equivalent to the two simultaneous congruences ##a^6\equiv a \mod 2## and ##a^6\equiv a\mod 3##. The first congruence is always true, and the second is true when ##a\equiv 0,1\mod 3##, but fails when ##a\equiv 2\mod 3##.

Likes jedishrfu and mfb
rashida564 said:
Is it try and error method?
Where did you see try and error? Factorization to investigate factors is a quite natural thing.

##a^6\equiv a \operatorname{mod} 6 ## is defined as ##6\,|\,a^6-a##, so factoring the polynomial ##a^6-a## is the next thing to do. After that, it becomes clear that ##2\,|\,a^6-6## in any case, as ##a(a-1)\,|\,a^6-a##. So, we are left with what @Infrared has said, the divisor ##3##. We have that ##3## divides ##a(a-1)## iff ##3\,|\,a \Longleftrightarrow a\equiv 0 \operatorname{mod} 3## or ##3\,|\,(a-1) \Longleftrightarrow a\equiv 1\operatorname{mod} 3## because ##3## is prime. Thus we are left with all numbers ##a \equiv 2 \operatorname{mod} 3##, i.e. ##a=3n+2## and ##6\,|\,a^6-a \Longleftrightarrow 3\,|\,a^4+a^3+a^2+a+1## for those numbers. However, if ##a=3n+2## it is easy to see, that ##a^4+a^3+a^2+a+1 =3m+2## which is never divisible by ##3##.

Likes jedishrfu
I see quicker that ##(3n+2)^6 = 3m + 1## (because I can use ##x^6 = (x^2)^3## ) than I see the same for ##a^4+a^3+a^2+a+1 =3m+2##

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on integers, where the result is always within a fixed range. It involves finding the remainder after dividing two numbers, also known as the modulus.

2. How is modular arithmetic useful?

Modular arithmetic has many practical applications, including cryptography, computer science, and music theory. It can also be used to solve problems involving repeating patterns, such as finding the day of the week for a given date.

3. How do you find multiples in modular arithmetic?

To find multiples in modular arithmetic, you can multiply a number by any integer and then take the remainder when divided by the modulus. For example, in modular arithmetic with a modulus of 5, the multiples of 3 would be 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. with remainders of 3, 1, 4, 2, respectively.

4. What is the reasoning behind modular arithmetic?

The reasoning behind modular arithmetic lies in the concept of congruence, which means that two numbers have the same remainder when divided by a given modulus. This allows for efficient calculations and simplification of complex problems.

5. How is modular arithmetic related to clock arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is closely related to clock arithmetic, as both involve finding the remainder after division by a fixed number. In clock arithmetic, the modulus is typically 12 or 24, representing the hours on a clock, while in modular arithmetic, the modulus can be any positive integer.