1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modular Arithmetic

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex](a + b)^5[/tex]
    in Z_5 (Z mod 5).

2. Relevant equations
    The end result is apparently:
    [tex](a^5 + b^5)[/tex]

Intuition would tell me to exploit the properties of arithmetic in Z_n, however I don't see how I can reconcile this solution with just a normal expansion of (a+b)^5 (which seems to be allowed due to the def. of arithmetic for these classes.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, my best guess would be to show that the middle terms go to zero no matter what. But trying this with for example (a+b)^2 (which has the analagous sol'n) would mean that ab + ba = ab + ab = 0 (mod 5). However, choosing for example a = [2], and b = [2], shows that this would actually be [4]+[4] = [8] = [3], which clearly is not 0... so I'm at a loss.

or.. I could have read this question wrong.. or perhaps my world view of modular arithmetic is one big illusion. ugh.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 5 up there is important. (a+b)^2 doesn't need to be equal to a^2+b^2 mod 5. However, it is equal to that mod 2. In general, (a+b)^p = a^p+b^p mod any prime p.
  4. Feb 9, 2008 #3
    Gotcha. Thanks for the answer, it makes sense now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?