1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modular arithmetic

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everyone, I have a problem in the following modular arithmetic operation

1/2*(x-4)(x-5) = 4(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7) ("=" means congruent in this expression)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely lost on how the operation is valid. If the coefficient is an integer between 0 to 6 then I can easily find its inverse using euclid extended algorithm but the problem here is that the coefficient is 1/2, a rational number. Any help on this problem will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2
    4 x 2 = 1 (mod 7)

So 1/2 = 4 (mod 7)

The integers mod 7 are a field so you can always divide by any nonzero number.

Another way to think of it is that 1/2 is 1 * 2-1. What is the multiplicative inverse of 2? It's 4. So 1/2 = 4 (mod 7).

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1/2= 4 (mod 7) because 4(2)= 8= 1 (mod 7) and that is, after all, the definition of "multiplicative inverse".

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    Oh alright i think I'm starting to get it. So if the question is 1/3*(x-4)(x-5) it is congruent to 5(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7) because 3 * 5 = 1 mod 7?

And what if the denominator is larger than the mod, say 1/30*(x-4)(x-5), should it be:
    30^-1 * (x-4)(x-5)
    and 30* 4 = 1 mod 7
    therefore 1/30*(x-4)(x-5) = 4 * (x-4)(x-5) mod 7 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook