Why does this function have a unique shape?

In summary, the conversation is about graphing the function f(x)=abs(x+4) + abs(3-x) and understanding its shape. The speaker used a website to generate the graph but is unsure of its shape and seeks explanation. Another person suggests using a table of values or writing the function as a multi-piece formula to better understand the graph.
abdo799
basically, i am given a function and told to sketch it. f(x)=abs(x+4) + abs(3-x)
i didnt know how to do it, so i used this site ( http://rechneronline.de/function-graphs/ )
it gave this graph with a really weird shape , can anyone explain it??
i tried to google it to find the answer, but i didnt even know what to type and search

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely, if no other way, you could just make a table of values for x from say -6 to 6. How hard can that be? Try it.

LCKurtz said:
Surely, if no other way, you could just make a table of values for x from say -6 to 6. How hard can that be? Try it.

i did the sketch , i need to know why it has this shape

abdo799 said:
i did the sketch , i need to know why it has this shape

Try writing your function as a muti-piece formula. For example, if ##x < -4## what would ##|x+4|## and ##|3-x|## be without the absolute value signs. Then try ##-4<x<3## and so on. Remember ##|x| = x,~x>0## and ##|x| = -x,~x<0##.

1. What is the modulus function?

The modulus function is a mathematical function that gives the absolute value of a number. It is denoted by |x| and represents the distance of the number from 0 on a number line. It can be thought of as the positive version of a number, regardless of its original sign.

2. How do you sketch the graph of a modulus function?

To sketch the graph of a modulus function, first plot the points by substituting different values for x in the function. Then, connect the points with straight lines. The graph will be a "V" shape, with the bottom point at the origin (0,0) and the two sides extending upwards. If the function has a negative coefficient, the graph will be flipped upside down.

3. What is the difference between a modulus function and an absolute value function?

The modulus function and the absolute value function are essentially the same thing. They both give the absolute value of a number. The only difference is that the modulus function is typically used in the context of complex numbers, while the absolute value function is used for real numbers. In practice, however, the terms are often used interchangeably.

4. How does the modulus function behave with negative numbers?

The modulus function treats negative numbers the same as positive numbers. It simply gives the positive version of the number. For example, the modulus of -5 is 5, and the modulus of -3.14 is 3.14. This is because the function ignores the negative sign and only looks at the magnitude of the number.

5. Can the modulus function be used for non-numerical values?

No, the modulus function can only be used for numerical values. It is a mathematical function that operates on numbers, so it cannot be applied to non-numerical values such as letters or words. However, it can be used for complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary part.