1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modulus of Elasticity for wood

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    Hi. I was wondeirng if anyone knew the modulus of elasticity for Basswood and Balsa wood under compression..

I found numbers but its all different.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I noticed that in a lot of the wood data I see, the modulus of elasticity is printed for bending tests, not compressive.

According to the Wood Handbook (which is referenced by Mark's Handbook) when measured parallel to the grain and with a 12% moisture content, Basswood has a compressive strength of 15,300 kPa and a bending elastic modulus of 1040 ksi (7,200 MPa).

Balsa lists with a compressive strength, parallel to the grain with 12% moisture content, of 2160 psi (14,900 kPa) and a bending elastic modulus of 490 ksi (3,400 MPa)

I know there's a thread around here somewhere that has the link to a free download of the handbook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook