A Moire Pattern of Shadow: Reading the Medea in the Late Afternoon

In summary, the conversation discusses the narrator's short, straight hair and how it cast a moire pattern shadow while they were reading the book "Medea" in the sun. The book is about an evil woman who murders her husband's new wife and her father through poison, and also kills her own children. The narrator mentions their mother's love for moire and someone being young and knowing what it is. The conversation then shifts to discussing God being in the details and a news story about a woman who sold her husband's prized car on eBay.
BicycleTree
My hair is cut short enough so that it's pretty much straight, like a wiffle only longer, and the other day I was sitting waiting for the bus in the late afternoon and reading a book (the Medea). The sun was behind me and the hair on my head cast a shadow onto the book. As I turned my head from side to side, the fibers crossing in the shadow weaved in a Moire pattern, their crossings shifting back and forth.

The Medea is a book about an evil woman (Medea) who murders her husband's new wife and that woman's father through poison, the effects of which are described graphically over a couple pages, then kills her own children to spite her husband.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've always been partial to moire, my mother liked it. Kind of neat. Nice that someone as young as you even knows what it is.

God is in the details.

BicycleTree said:
The Medea is a book about an evil woman (Medea) who murders her husband's new wife and that woman's father through poison, the effects of which are described graphically over a couple pages, then kills her own children to spite her husband.
Hayley Shaw did not go that far. She merely gave away her husband's prized Lotus Esprit on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2192&item=4556985749&rd=1

77_1_b.JPG

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1436341.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Moire Pattern of Shadow?

A Moire Pattern of Shadow refers to the visual effect created when two patterns overlap or are superimposed on each other, resulting in a new pattern with a different scale or orientation. In this context, it is a metaphor for the complex layers of meaning and interpretation found in the ancient Greek tragedy, Medea, when read in the late afternoon.

2. Why is this phenomenon specifically related to reading Medea in the late afternoon?

The late afternoon is a time of transition, when the light begins to fade and shadows become more prominent. This shift in lighting can enhance the visual effect of a Moire Pattern, just as it can bring out the layers of the tragedy in a new and different way compared to reading it in the morning or evening.

3. How does this concept apply to the interpretation of Medea?

In the context of Medea, the Moire Pattern of Shadow can represent the multi-faceted nature of the play, with its themes of revenge, betrayal, and gender roles. It also highlights the complexity of the title character, who is both a victim and a villain, creating a tension that mirrors the visual effect of a Moire Pattern.

4. What does this perspective add to the understanding of Medea?

By viewing Medea through the lens of a Moire Pattern of Shadow, readers can gain a deeper appreciation for the layers of meaning and interpretation within the play. This approach also emphasizes the importance of considering context and perspective when analyzing a work of literature.

5. Can this concept be applied to other works of literature?

Yes, the concept of a Moire Pattern of Shadow can be applied to other works of literature that have multiple layers of meaning and can be interpreted in different ways depending on the context and perspective of the reader. It is a useful tool for understanding the complexity and richness of literature and can be applied to a variety of texts and genres.