How Do Molecules Stay Distinct Between the Stratosphere and Troposphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to calculating the number of molecules in the Earth's atmosphere using the PV=NKT formula. The participants also consider the effect of chemical composition and altitude on this calculation.
Soilwork
Hey
I was just wondering if you know the height of the atmosphere, and the pressure that atmosphere creates on the Earth (1 atmosphere), then how would you approach calculating the number of molecules in the atmosphere?
I was thinking of using the PV=NKT formula, where K is boltzmann's constant.
I'm not sure if I can do this, but this is what I did.
The only information I needed to calculate N was the Volume. So because I knew the height I simply calculated the volume of the Earth plus atmosphere and the volume of the Earth. Then I subtracted the volume of the Earth from the volume of the Earth plus the atmosphere.
I get a value of an order of magnitude 10^44 molecule.
By the way the Temperature is 0 degrees celsius.
Can anyone tell me if what I did was ok or if what I did was wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of molecules? The water molecule is really tiny and more of them could crowd in there. I guess we could always count them, ha ha...one...two...three...

Molecular density of ideal gasses is independent of specie. It is always 22.4 l/mole at STP. You could use the ideal gas laws, and integrate to higher altitudes which will have lower pressures (first calculate P as a function of altitude). This will work until you get to the stratosphere, where the chemical composition of the atmosphere changes.

Njorl

Njorl said:
This will work until you get to the stratosphere, where the chemical composition of the atmosphere changes.
Why would it stop working there? I thought it was independent of the specie.

What if you are assuming that density is constant up to some altitude?
Would my way be all right then or is it still wrong?

turin said:
Why would it stop working there? I thought it was independent of the specie.

The universal gas law is independent of the specie, but the volume of gas has to be a homogeneous distribution of whatever the specie (or spcecies) is.

So can anyone tell me if what I did was ok if you assume that the density is constant up to some altitude h?

Something just doesn't seem to be clicking in my brain. I suppose my first logical question should have been:

"How can a change of chemical composition be maintained across the boundary between the stratosphere and the (troposhere?)?"

Shouldn't the species of these two regions diffuse into each other (for that matter, shouldn't they have done it a long time ago) and so homogenize? What prevents/counteracts this?

Related to How Do Molecules Stay Distinct Between the Stratosphere and Troposphere?

What are molecules in the atmosphere?

Molecules in the atmosphere are tiny particles that make up the air we breathe. They are made up of different combinations of atoms and can include gases like oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide.

How do molecules in the atmosphere affect the environment?

Molecules in the atmosphere play a crucial role in regulating Earth's temperature and climate. Some molecules, like carbon dioxide, act as greenhouse gases and trap heat from the sun, contributing to global warming. Others, like ozone, protect us from harmful UV rays. Changes in the levels of these molecules can have significant impacts on the environment.

What is the composition of the Earth's atmosphere?

The Earth's atmosphere is primarily composed of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), with trace amounts of other gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and argon. These molecules are constantly interacting and cycling through the atmosphere, creating the air that we breathe.

How do scientists study molecules in the atmosphere?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study molecules in the atmosphere, including satellites, aircraft, and ground-based instruments. They can measure the concentration and distribution of different molecules to better understand their impact on the environment and predict future changes.

What are some potential impacts of changes in molecules in the atmosphere?

Changes in molecules in the atmosphere can have wide-ranging impacts, including changes in weather patterns, sea levels, and biodiversity. They can also affect human health, as some molecules can contribute to air pollution and respiratory issues. It is important for scientists to continue studying these molecules to better understand their effects and develop strategies for mitigating any negative impacts.