Calculating Volume of 6.0M H2SO4 to Make 0.25M Solution

• Thread starter scavok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the volume of a solution with a known concentration. The problem uses common chemistry shorthand, which may be unfamiliar to the person seeking help. The solution can be found using the equation c1v1 = c2v2, where c1 and v1 are the initial concentration and volume, and c2 and v2 are the final concentration and volume. It is important to keep the units consistent when solving the problem. Additionally, it is noted that molarity times volume gives millimoles if M and mL are used, respectively, and moles if M and L are used.
scavok
I've been trying to figure this problem out for atleast an hour, I just don't understand how to get the volume. I can't find any examples of such problems in my textbooks, only problems to get the mass, not volume.

Here's the question verbatim:
What volume (mL) of 6.0M H2SO4 should be taken in order to prepare 50.0 mL of a solution which is 0.25M in H2SO4?

The molecular weight of H2SO4 is 98.078amu (g/mol)

I don't really even know where to go from there. I guess you would need the amount of grams in .25M of H2SO4, which is 24.520g. But how the heck do you get volume? You would need the density, wouldn't you?

Maybe if someone could just rewrite the question using different terms I would understand it. It doesn't even seem like it's written in english to me. Particularly the "which is 0.25M in H2SO4" part.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It looks like you're having a problem with terminology here. The problem does give you all of the information you need to solve it. It can be easily translated into english ( :wink: ) from the fairly commonplace chemistry shorthand used to indicate solution concentrations. 6.0M H2SO4 should be read as "six molar sulfuric acid". What is this "molar"? It is a unit for concentration, a shorthand for moles per litre! Now the problem should make sense, as you have been given the initial and desired final solution concentrations.

c1v1 = c2v2

c1: initial concentration
c2: final concentration
v1: initial volume
v2: final volume

Keep your units consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an addition to the friends posted, molarity times volume gives millimoles if M and mL are used, respectively. You'll get moles if M and L are used (resp.). I think it would be better to quote this:

[tex]molarity=\frac{moles}{liters} or \frac{millimoles}{milliliters}[/tex]

FAQ: Calculating Volume of 6.0M H2SO4 to Make 0.25M Solution

1. How do I calculate the volume of 6.0M H2SO4 to make a 0.25M solution?

To calculate the volume of 6.0M H2SO4 needed to make a 0.25M solution, you can use the formula: V1 x C1 = V2 x C2, where V1 is the initial volume of the concentrated solution (in mL), C1 is the initial concentration (in mol/L), V2 is the final volume of the diluted solution (in mL), and C2 is the final concentration (in mol/L). Rearranging the formula to solve for V2, you get: V2 = (V1 x C1)/C2. Plugging in the values, you can calculate the volume of 6.0M H2SO4 needed to make a 0.25M solution.

2. What is the concentration of the final solution if I mix 6.0M H2SO4 with water to make a 0.25M solution?

The concentration of the final solution will be 0.25M, as long as you use the correct volume of 6.0M H2SO4 according to the formula mentioned above. Diluting a concentrated solution with water does not change the concentration, only the volume and amount of solute present.

3. Can I use any volume of 6.0M H2SO4 to make a 0.25M solution?

No, you cannot use any volume of 6.0M H2SO4 to make a 0.25M solution. The volume of 6.0M H2SO4 needed will depend on the initial concentration and desired final concentration. Using the formula mentioned above, you can calculate the specific volume needed for your desired concentration.

4. How do I measure the volume of 6.0M H2SO4 accurately?

The volume of 6.0M H2SO4 can be measured using a graduated cylinder or a volumetric flask. It is important to use proper measuring techniques and equipment to ensure accuracy in your measurement. Additionally, make sure to read the volume at eye level and at the bottom of the meniscus for an accurate reading.

5. What safety precautions should I take when working with 6.0M H2SO4?

6.0M H2SO4 is a strong acid and can cause burns if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling this chemical. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to dilute the acid slowly to avoid splashes. In case of contact with skin or eyes, flush with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention if necessary.