Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moles to mL?

1. Sep 24, 2004 #1
    I've been trying to figure this problem out for atleast an hour, I just don't understand how to get the volume. I can't find any examples of such problems in my textbooks, only problems to get the mass, not volume.

Here's the question verbatim:
    The molecular weight of H2SO4 is 98.078amu (g/mol)

I don't really even know where to go from there. I guess you would need the amount of grams in .25M of H2SO4, which is 24.520g. But how the heck do you get volume? You would need the density, wouldn't you?

Maybe if someone could just rewrite the question using different terms I would understand it. It doesn't even seem like it's written in english to me. Particularly the "which is 0.25M in H2SO4" part.

Thanks for the help

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2004 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks like you're having a problem with terminology here. The problem does give you all of the information you need to solve it. It can be easily translated into english ( :wink: ) from the fairly commonplace chemistry shorthand used to indicate solution concentrations. 6.0M H2SO4 should be read as "six molar sulfuric acid". What is this "molar"? It is a unit for concentration, a shorthand for moles per litre!!! Now the problem should make sense, as you have been given the initial and desired final solution concentrations.

4. Sep 24, 2004 #3
    c1v1 = c2v2

c1: initial concentration
    c2: final concentration
    v1: initial volume
    v2: final volume

Keep your units consistent.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2004
  5. Sep 24, 2004 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As an addition to the friends posted, molarity times volume gives millimoles if M and mL are used, respectively. You'll get moles if M and L are used (resp.). I think it would be better to quote this:

[tex]molarity=\frac{moles}{liters} or \frac{millimoles}{milliliters}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?