Moment of Inertia and pivot joint

In summary, the problem involves a rod of length L and mass m, pivoted at one end with a point mass m attached to the free end, and a gravitational constant of 9.8 m/s^2. The task is to determine the moment of inertia of the system with respect to the pivot joint, and the position of the center of mass from the pivot point. The parallel axis theorem must be used for the first part, and the center of mass will be between the middle of the rod and the mass m. The correct solution for the center of mass is (3/4)L, assuming the masses of the rod and mass m are equal.
glasshut137

Homework Statement

Consider a rod length L and mass m which is pivoted at one end. An object with mass m attached to the free end of the rod. g=9.8 m/s^2. Note: Contrary to the diagram shown, consider the mass at the end of the rod to be a point particle.

Basically it looks like a rod pivoted at a point on the origin, and 23 degrees below the x-axis.

1) determine the moment of Inertia, I, of the system with respect to the pivot joint.
I tried doing the sum of the moments about the pivot joint, I= m(L)^2/12 for the rod plus I= m (L)^2 of the point mass and got (13/12)*m*(L)^2 but it was wrong.

2) Determine the position of the center of mass from the pivot point, i.e., find C.
I used xcm= (mL+mL)/(m+m) and got C=L. Can someone tell me if i did that correctly?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
glasshut137 said:
1) determine the moment of Inertia, I, of the system with respect to the pivot joint.
I tried doing the sum of the moments about the pivot joint, I= m(L)^2/12 for the rod plus I= m (L)^2 of the point mass and got (13/12)*m*(L)^2 but it was wrong.

There is something called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem" . It's not that simple.

glasshut137 said:
2) Determine the position of the center of mass from the pivot point, i.e., find C.
I used xcm= (mL+mL)/(m+m) and got C=L. Can someone tell me if i did that correctly?

Unfortunately, no. You get that xcm=L (assuming that the pivoted end has x coordinate equal to 0), which can't be true. Center of mass will be somewhere between the middle of the rod and mass m. Mass (m) will "move" the center of mass towards itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I got the first part but I'm still not sure about the second one. So since the center of mass of the rod alone is L/2 and L for the point mass then the center of mass of the system would be at (3/4)L ?

glasshut137 said:
So since the center of mass of the rod alone is L/2 and L for the point mass then the center of mass of the system would be at (3/4)L ?

Yes, but only if mass of the rod is equal to mass m:

[tex]x_{cm}=\frac{m\frac{L}{2}+mL}{m+m}=\frac{3}{4}L[/tex].

1. What is moment of inertia and how is it calculated?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

Moment of inertia determines how much force is required to change the rotational motion of an object. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more force to change their rotational motion compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.

3. What is a pivot joint and how does it work?

A pivot joint is a type of joint that allows for rotation around a central axis. It consists of a rounded or pointed surface of one bone fitting into a ring formed by another bone or by ligaments. This allows for smooth, rotating movement in one direction.

4. How does a pivot joint contribute to an object's moment of inertia?

A pivot joint can affect an object's moment of inertia by changing the distance from the object's axis of rotation. If the pivot joint is located farther from the axis of rotation, it will increase the object's moment of inertia, making it more difficult to change its rotational motion.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object can be affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with more mass or a larger radius of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with less mass or a smaller radius of rotation.