Calculating Moment of Inertia for Rod w/ Weights at Ends

In summary, to calculate the moment of inertia for a rod with two weights on each end turning in a horizontal plane with a wire fixed to the middle, you can use the parallel axis theorem and view the masses as two cylinders with the axis of rotation through their centers. This allows you to simply add mr^2 to the equation for a cylinder. The perpendicular axis theorem can also be used for calculating the sum of MoI's for a plane body about two perpendicular axes.
jfrusciante
My problem is trying to calculate the moment of inertia for a rod with two weights on the each end (like the type weightlifters lift) turning in a horizontal plane with a wire fixed to the middle of the rod.

How do you calculate this? I suppose it could be seen as two cylinders, one small radius big thickness, one large radius small thickness, but how do i sum these together and how do i calculate this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
moment of inertia

Try using the parallel axis and perpendicular axis theorems.

Parallel axis theorem: The moment of inertia (MoI) of a body about any axis parallel to an axis passing through its center of mass (CoM) is equal to the sum of the MoI about the CoM and its mass*(the distance between the two axes ).

Perpendicular axis theorem. The sum of MoI's of a plane body about two perpendicular axes through its plane is equal to the MoI of the body about an axis perpendicular to the plane and passing through the point of intersection of the two previous axes.

tell me if that helps.

spacetime
http://www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

Yes it does spacetime, the parallel axis theorem seems to be what i required because it appears to allow me to just regard the masses as two cylinders with the axis of rotation through their centres. This allows me to simply add mr^2 to the equation for a cylinder, (i think). That also works damn well with the results i have picked up from my investigation.

Thanks for your help.

Related to Calculating Moment of Inertia for Rod w/ Weights at Ends

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account both the mass of the object and how that mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

How do you calculate moment of inertia for a rod with weights at the ends?

The moment of inertia for a rod with weights at the ends can be calculated by using the formula I = 1/12 * M * L^2 + M * d^2, where M is the mass of the rod, L is the length of the rod, and d is the distance between the weights and the center of mass of the rod.

What units are used for moment of inertia?

The standard unit for moment of inertia is kg*m^2, but it can also be expressed in other units such as g*cm^2 or lb*in^2 depending on the system of measurement being used.

How does the distribution of weights affect the moment of inertia for a rod?

The distribution of weights along the rod affects the moment of inertia in two ways. First, it affects the overall mass of the rod, which is a direct factor in the moment of inertia calculation. Second, it affects the distance of the weights from the center of mass, which is also a factor in the calculation.

Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is a crucial factor in calculations related to rotational motion, such as torque, angular acceleration, and rotational kinetic energy.