Moment of inertia of a disc

In summary, the problem involves a solid circular disc with a mass of 6.6kg and a radius of 0.25m rotating about an axis that coincides with its diameter. The disc has an angular acceleration of 6.7 rad/s. When the axis of rotation is changed to be parallel to the diameter and 0.15m away from the centre of the disc, with the same applied moment, the angular acceleration needs to be determined using the parallel axis theorem. The new axis of rotation is parallel to one of the principal axes passing through the centre of mass of the disc.
Elmowgli
Hi, I am a little stuck on this question from a PPOD paper I am doing all help appreciated =)

Homework Statement

A solid circular disc of mass 6.6kg and radius 0.25m rotates about an axis which coincides with its diamter. Its angular acceleration is found to be 6.7rad/s. The axis of rotation is changed so that it lies 0.15m from the centre of the disc, and is parallel to the diameter. If the applied moment is the same, determine the angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

I=mR^2/4
I=rα

The Attempt at a Solution

ive worked out the moment of inertia of the disc before the axis is changed and get

I = 0.103kgm^2

I was wondering if the next step is simple to use I=rα and use 0.15 as the value for the radius or should I use the parallel axis theorem as the axis has changed from being perpendicular to parallel??

Physics news on Phys.org
Elmowgli said:
or should I use the parallel axis theorem as the axis has changed from being perpendicular to parallel??

You should use the parallel axis theorem, but that is not the correct reason why. You should use the parallel axis theorem because the new axis of rotation is parallel to one of the principal axes (the axes that pass through the centre of mass of the disc).

What you said is wrong because the orientation of the axis has not changed, only its position. Saying that it has gone from "perpendicular to parallel" makes no sense. It's oriented the same way as it was before (parallel to the diameter of the disc). The only difference is that now it is offset from the diameter by 0.15 m.

Last edited:

Yes, you are on the right track. To determine the new angular acceleration, you can use the equation I = rα, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and α is the angular acceleration. In this case, the new distance from the axis of rotation is 0.15m, so you would use that as the value for r.

Alternatively, you can also use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the new moment of inertia, as the axis of rotation has changed from being perpendicular to parallel. The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia about an axis parallel to the original axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the original axis plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes. So, in this case, you would calculate the new moment of inertia as I = 0.103kgm^2 + (6.6kg)(0.15m)^2.

Either method will give you the same result for the new moment of inertia, and then you can use that to calculate the new angular acceleration using the equation I = rα.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a disc?

The moment of inertia of a disc is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is often referred to as the rotational mass or angular mass of the object.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a disc calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disc can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the disc and r is the radius of the disc.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disc?

The moment of inertia of a disc is affected by its mass, distribution of mass (concentration towards or away from the center), and shape (thickness and diameter of the disc).

4. How does the moment of inertia of a disc compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a disc is greater than that of a point mass or a thin rod with the same mass and length, but less than that of a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius.

5. What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a disc?

The moment of inertia of a disc is an important parameter in rotational dynamics and is used to calculate the angular acceleration of the disc when a torque is applied to it. It also plays a role in determining the stability and energy of a rotating object.