1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a Hemisphere

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The moment of inertia of a uniform sphere of mass m and radius r about an axis passing through its center of mass is (2/5) mr^2. If half of the sphere is removed, what is the moment of inertia about the same axis?

2. Relevant equations
    integral of r^2 dm

3. The attempt at a solution
    [​IMG]
    I think this is wrong since I've looked up the actual I for this and it gives me (2/5) mr^2 still. I also tried using the parallel axis theorem on this and it also gives me the (2/5) mr^2. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi hp-p00nst3r,

About the third thing you have written down is this:

[tex]
    dI = \frac{1}{2} z^2 dm
    [/tex]

This should represent the moment of inertia of a representative disk, like the one you have in the diagram. However, the moment of inertia of a disk is (1/2) M R2, where R is the radius of the disk.

From the figure, you can see that the radius of the disk is not z, so your expression for dI is not correct. The radius is actually y, so once you have used the expression for y in dI, I think you should get the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?