Moment of Inertia of a Hemisphere

In summary, the moment of inertia of a uniform sphere of mass m and radius r about an axis passing through its center of mass is (2/5) mr^2. If half of the sphere is removed, the moment of inertia about the same axis is still (2/5) mr^2. The incorrect calculation was due to using the wrong radius in the calculation of dI.
hp-p00nst3r

Homework Statement

The moment of inertia of a uniform sphere of mass m and radius r about an axis passing through its center of mass is (2/5) mr^2. If half of the sphere is removed, what is the moment of inertia about the same axis?

Homework Equations

integral of r^2 dm

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5250/mech221ps4moiim8.jpg
I think this is wrong since I've looked up the actual I for this and it gives me (2/5) mr^2 still. I also tried using the parallel axis theorem on this and it also gives me the (2/5) mr^2. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hp-p00nst3r,

hp-p00nst3r said:

Homework Statement

The moment of inertia of a uniform sphere of mass m and radius r about an axis passing through its center of mass is (2/5) mr^2. If half of the sphere is removed, what is the moment of inertia about the same axis?

Homework Equations

integral of r^2 dm

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5250/mech221ps4moiim8.jpg
I think this is wrong since I've looked up the actual I for this and it gives me (2/5) mr^2 still. I also tried using the parallel axis theorem on this and it also gives me the (2/5) mr^2. What am I doing wrong?

About the third thing you have written down is this:

[tex]
dI = \frac{1}{2} z^2 dm
[/tex]

This should represent the moment of inertia of a representative disk, like the one you have in the diagram. However, the moment of inertia of a disk is (1/2) M R2, where R is the radius of the disk.

From the figure, you can see that the radius of the disk is not z, so your expression for dI is not correct. The radius is actually y, so once you have used the expression for y in dI, I think you should get the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your solution is incorrect because you are assuming that the moment of inertia of the hemisphere is the same as that of a full sphere. However, when half of the sphere is removed, the distribution of mass changes and the moment of inertia will also change.

To find the moment of inertia of the hemisphere with half of it removed, we can use the parallel axis theorem. The moment of inertia of the hemisphere about its own axis (passing through its center of mass) is (2/5)mr^2. We can then use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the same axis after removing half of the hemisphere.

Let's define the axis of rotation as the x-axis, with the origin at the center of mass of the hemisphere. The moment of inertia of the hemisphere about this axis is given by:

I = (2/5)mr^2

Now, let's consider the moment of inertia of the removed half hemisphere. We can calculate this by using the integral of r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the infinitesimal mass element dm. Since the removed half hemisphere has a constant density, we can write dm = ρdV, where ρ is the density and dV is the infinitesimal volume element. The moment of inertia of the removed half hemisphere can then be calculated as:

I' = ∫(x^2 + y^2)dm = ∫(x^2 + y^2)ρdV

Since the removed half hemisphere is symmetrical about the x-axis, we can rewrite this integral as:

I' = 2∫(x^2 + y^2)ρdV

Now, we can use the fact that the volume of the removed half hemisphere is half of the volume of the full hemisphere, and the density is constant, to write:

I' = 2(1/2)ρ∫(x^2 + y^2)dV = ρ∫(x^2 + y^2)dV

We can now use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia of the removed half hemisphere about the x-axis:

I' = ρ∫(x^2 + y^2)dV + mr^2 = ρ∫(x^2 + y^2)dV + (1/2)mr^2

Finally, we can substitute this expression for I'

1. What is the moment of inertia of a hemisphere?

The moment of inertia of a hemisphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion about a given axis. It is a scalar quantity that depends on the mass distribution of the hemisphere and the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a hemisphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hemisphere can be calculated using the formula I = 2/5 * MR^2, where M is the mass of the hemisphere and R is its radius.

3. How does the moment of inertia of a hemisphere compare to that of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hemisphere is half that of a solid sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because a hemisphere has only half of the mass distribution of a solid sphere.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a hemisphere?

The moment of inertia of a hemisphere is affected by its mass, radius, and the axis of rotation. It also depends on the density and distribution of mass within the hemisphere.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a hemisphere important?

The moment of inertia of a hemisphere is an important concept in rotational dynamics as it helps in understanding the rotational motion of objects. It is also used in many engineering and design applications, such as in the design of rotating machinery and vehicles.