Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia of a solid uniform sphere and the discrepancy between the expected result and the one obtained using a differential volume dm. The issue arises from using different approaches for calculating the differential area element of a solid disk and a thin sphere. The conversation also mentions using dz instead of dr and the fact that the moment of inertia for a solid disk is (1/2)Ma^2. However, this method may not work for a complex structure like a sphere and the moment of inertia for a spherical shell may need to be used instead.
John Kingsley
Hello, Calculating the moment of inertia of a solid uniform sphere about it's center I get (3/5) Ma2. I know I am supposed to be getting (2/5) Ma2. I am using a differential volume dm as 4*pi*rho*r*r*dr, where rho is density, and r is the distance from the center to the differential volume element, which is a thin sphere with surface area 4*pi*r*r. So in effect I am multiflying the surface area of a thin shere by a quantity dr to get my dV. I believe this is where the problem is arising, but in calculating the differential area element of a solid disk, this approach seemd to work just fine. So anyway, my integral r*r*dm becomes 4*pi*rho*the integral from 0 to a of (r^4)dr. a is the radius of the sphere. rho equals 3M/(4*pi*a^3), and I end up with (3/5)Ma^2. Where am I going wrong? The text uses dz instead of dr and uses the fact that I for a solid disk is (1/2)Ma^2, but I do not see why this way will not work also.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello John! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
John Kingsley said:
… The text uses dz instead of dr and uses the fact that I for a solid disk is (1/2)Ma^2, but I do not see why this way will not work also.

your way will work if you use the moment of inertia for a spherical shell (about a diameter) instead of 1/2 Ma2 :wink:

(but you don't know what that is, do you? :redface:)

REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID IN CASE OF SOLID UNIFORM DISC?
WHAT YOU DID WAS INTEGRAL OF dI WHERE IT WAS M.I OF THIN RING.
HERE WE DON'T KNOW THE dI, i.e. MOMENT OF INERTIA OF SMALL SPHERE(THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO FIND).MOREOVER THE SIMPLE I=MR2 WON'T DO HERE FOR A COMPLEX STRUCTURE LIKE SPHERE.

What is Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere?

The Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution and shape of the sphere.

How is Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere calculated?

The Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * M * R^2, where M is the mass of the sphere and R is the radius of the sphere.

What is the unit of Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere?

The unit of Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere is kg*m^2. This unit is derived from the formula for calculating Moment of Inertia.

How does the Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere affect its rotational motion?

The Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere determines how much torque is needed to accelerate or decelerate its rotational motion. A larger Moment of Inertia means a larger torque is needed, while a smaller Moment of Inertia means a smaller torque is needed.

Can the Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere change?

The Moment of Inertia of a solid uniform sphere can change if there is a change in its mass distribution or shape. However, for a perfect sphere with uniform mass distribution, the Moment of Inertia remains constant.