Moment of Inertia of a Sphere derivation?

In summary, there is a method to derive the moment of inertia of a sphere without using the M of I of a cylinder. This can be done by finding the sphere's MOI from scratch, and a derivation can be included in the answer. One way to do this is by using the general method for calculating mass and the mass moment of inertia for a general body, as demonstrated in Section II of the article provided.
Timothy S
Hi,

Is there a way to derive the moment of inertia of a sphere without using the M of I of a cylinder? In other words, is it possible to find a sphere's from scratch? Please include a derivation in your answer, unless there isn't one of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you just integrate over the sphere to get it?

can you explain to me how to do that?

Do you know the expression for the moment of inertia for an arbitrary object?

I do, but I don't know how to properly set the equation so that I can integrate.

Timothy S said:
Hi,

Is there a way to derive the moment of inertia of a sphere without using the M of I of a cylinder? In other words, is it possible to find a sphere's from scratch? Please include a derivation in your answer, unless there isn't one of course.
Of course there is a way to derive the MOI of a sphere or any other body from scratch. Do you think we make these things up to torture college freshmen?

This article:

http://www.solitaryroad.com/c375.html

contains the general method for calculating mass, the location of centroids, and the mass moment of inertia for a general body.

See Section II - Moments of inertia of masses.

1. What is the formula for the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The formula for the moment of inertia of a sphere is I = (2/5)mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a sphere derived?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be derived by using the formula for moment of inertia of a point mass and integrating it over the entire sphere. This involves breaking the sphere into infinitesimally small elements and calculating the moment of inertia for each element, then summing them up to get the moment of inertia of the entire sphere.

3. What is the physical significance of the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere represents its resistance to changes in rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means that more force is required to change the rotational speed of the sphere, while a smaller moment of inertia means less force is needed.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a sphere differ from that of a point mass?

The moment of inertia of a sphere takes into account its size and mass distribution, while the moment of inertia of a point mass only considers its mass. This means that a sphere with the same mass as a point mass will have a larger moment of inertia due to its size and mass distribution.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a sphere change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere can change if its mass or radius changes. It can also be affected by external forces, such as when a sphere is rotating about an axis other than its center of mass.