1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a sphere

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble with the following question.

Q. Derive the expression for the moment of inertia of a spherical ball of mass m and radius r about the axis z through its centre of gravity.

Ans: [itex]I_G = \frac{2}{5}mr^2 [/itex].

I did the following.

[tex]I_G = \int\limits_m^{} {r^2 } dm[/tex]

[tex]dm = \rho dV[/tex] where rho is the constant density.

V = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \Rightarrow dV = 4\pi r^2 dr

I_G = 4\pi \rho \int\limits_0^r {r^4 dr} = \frac{{4\pi r^5 \rho }}{5} = \frac{3}{5}\left( {\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \rho } \right)r^2 = \frac{3}{5}mr^2 \ne \frac{2}{5}mr^2

I can get the answer using a triple integral but the question seems to only require a single integral. At the moment I can't see where I've gone wrong. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To calculate the moment of inertia you need to integrate over the square of the distance from the axis of rotation which is [itex]r^2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] and not just [itex]r^2[/itex]. This also requires you to integrate over the polar angle.
  4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    Oh ok. I just looked up the definition on mathworld and it appears to say that a perpendicular distance needs to be considered. Hopefully these will become more easy to do as I get more practice. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?