Moment of Inertia of a Small Sphere Revolving on a String

In summary, the moment of inertia of a small sphere of mass 2.0kg revolving at the end of a 1.2 m long string in a horizontal plane around a vertical axis can be calculated using the equation I=mr^2, where r is the distance of the body from the axis. The moment of inertia of a sphere with respect to its own centre is 2/5 mr^2, and the Parallel Axis Theorem states that the moment of inertia about an arbitrary axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the centre of mass plus the mass times the distance to the axis squared. Therefore, the moment of inertia with respect to the given axis is I=1.2 kgm^2. The book
cc2hende

Homework Statement

A small sphere of mass 2.0kg revolves at the end of a 1.2 m long string in a horizontal plane around a vertical axis. Determine its moment of inertia with respect to that axis.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia for sphere= (2/5)mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=(2/5)(2.0kg)(1.2m)^2
I=1.2 kgm^2

However, my book says to use the equation: I=mr^2. As a result they got I=2.9kgm^2. Why do they do this?? Isn't that the equation for Moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

Physics news on Phys.org
cc2hende said:

Homework Statement

A small sphere of mass 2.0kg revolves at the end of a 1.2 m long string in a horizontal plane around a vertical axis. Determine its moment of inertia with respect to that axis.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia for sphere= (2/5)mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I=(2/5)(2.0kg)(1.2m)^2
I=1.2 kgm^2

However, my book says to use the equation: I=mr^2. As a result they got I=2.9kgm^2. Why do they do this?? Isn't that the equation for Moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

The sphere is small, 1.2 m is the radius of its orbit around an axis. You calculated the moment of inertia of a big sphere of radius 1.2 m.

Think of the definition of moment of inertia with respect an axis: for a very small body, a point mass, it is I=mr^2 where r is the distance of the body from the axis.

The moment of inertia of an extended body is the sum (integral) of the moment of inertia of its parts. Imagine you have a very small sphere with radius r=1 cm, for example, and it revolves around the axis of a circle of radius R=1.2 m. How far are the parts of the sphere from the axis? The closest point is 1.19 m, the farthest is at 1.21 m. So the moment of inertia must be close to mR2.
The moment of inertia of a sphere with respect to an axis going through its own centre is I(CM)=2/5 mr2. The Parallel Axis Theorem establishes the relation between the moment of inertia about an arbitrary axis and that about a parallel axis at distance R, going through the centre of mass of an object: I=I(CM)+mR2.

ehild

Related to Moment of Inertia of a Small Sphere Revolving on a String

What is Moment of Inertia of a Sphere?

The Moment of Inertia of a Sphere is a physical property that measures an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is also known as rotational inertia or angular mass.

How is Moment of Inertia of a Sphere calculated?

The Moment of Inertia of a Sphere can be calculated using the formula: I = 2/5 * m * r^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

What factors affect the Moment of Inertia of a Sphere?

The Moment of Inertia of a Sphere is affected by the mass and distribution of the mass within the sphere. A larger mass and a more spread out distribution of mass will result in a higher Moment of Inertia.

What are the units of Moment of Inertia of a Sphere?

The units of Moment of Inertia of a Sphere depend on the system of measurement being used. In the SI system, it is measured in kilograms per square meter (kg·m^2). In the imperial system, it is measured in slugs per square foot (slug·ft^2).

Why is Moment of Inertia of a Sphere important?

Moment of Inertia of a Sphere is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps predict the behavior of rotating objects. It is used in the design of structures and machines that involve rotational motion, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels.