How Is the Moment of Inertia Calculated for a Solid Torus on the XY Plane?

In summary, the homework statement is to calculate the moment of inertia of a solid torus through the z axis. The Attempt at a Solution uses the parallel and perpendicular axis theorem to find the moment of inertia of a disk about an axis parallel to the z axis. However, the equation doesn't work and the student uses the relation: dm/Rd\theta = M/2\pi R to substitute for dm. Thinking about the equation helped them get the answer, at least according to wikipedia.
naptor

Homework Statement

To calculate the moment of inertia of a solid torus through the z axis(the torus is on the xy plane), using the parallel and perpendicular axis theorem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I divided the torus into tiny little disks and calculated the moment of inertia of one of these disks about an axis parallel to the z axis, using the perpendicular theorem. Then by the parallel axis theorem I found that the moment of inertia of the disk about the axis passing through the center of the torus is:
Idisk=dItorus=[itex]dma^{2}/4[/itex]+[itex]R^{2}dm[/itex]

Then in order to find the moment of inertia of the torus I should integrate that expression, but it doesn't work. I used the relation : [itex]dm/Rd\theta = M/2\pi R[/itex]
to substitute for dm. Whats wrong ?
[

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A torus is given by two radii. You only mention one, R. Which of the two is it? And what's the other one?

voko said:
A torus is given by two radii. You only mention one, R. Which of the two is it? And what's the other one?

Sorry I didn't write the equations correctly. a is the radius of the little disk and R is the distance from the center of the torus to the center of the little disk, that is : Inner Radius = R-a.

So what does the integral look like?

Itorus=[itex]\int \frac{(a^{2}M)}{8\pi} d\theta[/itex] + [itex]\int \frac{R^{2}M}{2\pi} d\theta[/itex], from 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] and got :

[itex] \frac{(a^{2}M)}{4} [/itex] + [itex]R^{2}M[/itex]

Well the substitution was silly because all I had was a bunch of constants and no functions of theta .

Is that the correct answer?

voko said:
Is that the correct answer?

Nope. But thinking about that integral was helpful I think I got it, at least according to wikipedia. Thanks.

FAQ: How Is the Moment of Inertia Calculated for a Solid Torus on the XY Plane?

What is moment of inertia of a torus?

The moment of inertia of a torus is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the torus and the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia of a torus calculated?

The moment of inertia of a torus can be calculated using the formula I = (MR²)/4, where M is the mass of the torus and R is the radius of the torus.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a torus?

The moment of inertia of a torus is affected by the mass distribution, the shape of the torus, and the axis of rotation. A torus with a larger mass and a smaller radius will have a higher moment of inertia.

Why is moment of inertia of a torus important?

Moment of inertia of a torus is important in understanding the rotational behavior of objects. It helps determine how easily an object can be rotated and how much torque is required to produce a given amount of rotational acceleration.

How is moment of inertia of a torus used in real life?

The moment of inertia of a torus is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of rotating machinery, vehicles, and sports equipment. It also plays a role in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and in analyzing the stability of structures.