1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a triangular plate

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

see attachment

2. Relevant equations

integration

3. The attempt at a solution

answers:
    a. mH2/6 + mt2/12
    b. mB2/2 + mt2/12
    c. mH2/6 + mB2/2
    d. -mBH/4
    e. 0, 0
    If the plate were thin t can be ignored.

Ok so e is because of symmetry so I get that. a-d on the other hand....seems like a bunch of complicated integrals. So double/triple integrals? I know integration needs to be done across the thickness, and then across the surface of the triangle, so 2 integrals? Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2
    Find the frequency of small oscillations for a thin homogeneous plate if the motion takes
    place in the plane of the plate and if the plate has the shape of an equilateral triangle and
    is suspended (a) from the midpoint of one side and (b) from the apex.

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    A square sheet is constrained to rotate with an angular velocity ! about an axis passing
    through its center and making an angle with the axis through the center of mass and
    normal to the sheet (i.e. its axis of symmetry). At the instant the axis of rotation lies in
    the plane determined by the axis of symmetry and a diagonal, the body is released. Find
    the rate at which the axis of symmetry precesses about the constant direction of the angular
    momentum.

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4
    Is anybody there can reply these?
    I need help
    they are due tomorrow......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook