Moment of inertia of wheel and frictional torque.

In summary, a wheel that is initially at rest can rotate at a speed of 610 revolutions per minute before coming to a stop. The external torque applied to the wheel is +43 N·m, but it is then removed and the wheel comes to rest 120 seconds later. The moment of inertia of the wheel is 0.5 kg·m2, and the frictional torque is assumed to be constant.
DragonZero

Homework Statement

A wheel free to rotate about its axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of +43 N·m is applied to the wheel for 20 s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of +610 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. (Include the sign in your answers.)

(a) Find the moment of inertia of the wheel.
(b) Find the frictional torque, which is assumed to be constant.

Homework Equations

Rotational Momentum
(0.5)(moment of inertia)(omega^2) = Torque * change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

A) The angular velocity is given in revolutions, so I multiply it by 2 pi in order to get it in radians/sec. I plug that result into the omega of the equation, plugged 43 into torque, and 20 into the time. I know there's more I need to do from there since solving for inertia at this point gave me a result less than 1 which is incorrect, but I'm not sure what that next step is.

B) I think I need to solve for A before I can solve for this.

Thanks. I'm also new to these forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
DragonZero said:
Rotational Momentum
(0.5)(moment of inertia)(omega^2) = Torque * change in time
Careful: The left side is rotational kinetic energy, not momentum.

A) The angular velocity is given in revolutions, so I multiply it by 2 pi in order to get it in radians/sec.
Careful: The angular velocity is given in revolutions per minute.

I plug that result into the omega of the equation, plugged 43 into torque, and 20 into the time. I know there's more I need to do from there since solving for inertia at this point gave me a result less than 1 which is incorrect, but I'm not sure what that next step is.

B) I think I need to solve for A before I can solve for this.
Hint: Instead of trying to solve A and B independently, solve them together. Apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation to the wheel while it's speeding up, and again while it's slowing down. You'll get two equations (and two unknowns) which you will solve together.

Ok, so for the angular velocity I did (610 * 2 pi)/60 for radians/sec to get a speed of 63.879.

And I have to use Newton's second law, torque = inertia * angular acceleration.

angular velocity = angular acceleration * time

For the speeding up:

63.879 / 20 = angular acceleration = 3.19

For the slowing down, is this correct? 63.879 / 120 = angular acceleration of 0.358.

Then if I put them together it's I * 3.19 = I * 0.358.

I don't think my angular acceleration for the slowing down is correct though.

DragonZero said:
Ok, so for the angular velocity I did (610 * 2 pi)/60 for radians/sec to get a speed of 63.879.
Good.

And I have to use Newton's second law, torque = inertia * angular acceleration.
Right. But realize that it's net torque = I * angular acceleration. (When the wheel is speeding up there are two torques acting.)

angular velocity = angular acceleration * time

For the speeding up:

63.879 / 20 = angular acceleration = 3.19

For the slowing down, is this correct? 63.879 / 120 = angular acceleration of 0.358.
Good.

Then if I put them together it's I * 3.19 = I * 0.358.
:confused:

I don't think my angular acceleration for the slowing down is correct though.
That's fine.

Do this:
(1) For the speeding up phase:
Write an expression for the net torque on the wheel, set it equal to I*alpha1
(2) For the slowing down phase:
Write an expression for the torque on the wheel, set it equal to I*alpha2

(Hint: Call the torque due to friction Tf.)

WHat is moment of inertia and how do you calculate it? Why would you do so to calculate?

For speeding up:

43 - T_f = I * 3.19

For slowing down:

43 = I * 0.358

So what do I do next? Is it

(I * 3.19) + T_f = I * 0.358

DragonZero said:
For speeding up:

43 - T_f = I * 3.19
Good!

For slowing down:

43 = I * 0.358
Careful. When it's slowing down the 43 N·m torque is removed, leaving only the friction.

So what do I do next?
Fix that second equation.

For speeding up:

43 - T_f = I * 3.19

For slowing down:

T_f = I * 0.358

Eqeuation:

43 - I * 0.358 = I * 3.19

DragonZero said:
For speeding up:

43 - T_f = I * 3.19

For slowing down:

T_f = I * 0.358

Eqeuation:

43 - I * 0.358 = I * 3.19
That's good. Now solve that last equation for I. (Then you can use that to solve for T_f.)

43 = I * (3.19 + 0.357)
I = 12.11

T_f = 12.11 * 0.358 = 4.33

It worked! Thank you very much!

1. What is moment of inertia and how does it relate to a wheel?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the case of a wheel, it refers to the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. The greater the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the wheel's rotational speed.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a wheel?

The moment of inertia of a wheel can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the wheel by the square of its radius. This is known as the rotational inertia formula. However, for more complex shapes, the moment of inertia can be calculated using integral calculus.

3. How does frictional torque affect the motion of a wheel?

Frictional torque is a force that opposes the motion of a wheel. When a wheel is rolling, frictional torque acts in the opposite direction of the wheel's rotation, slowing it down. This is why wheels eventually come to a stop even without any external forces acting on them.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a wheel affect its performance?

The moment of inertia of a wheel affects its performance in several ways. A wheel with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to start and stop its rotation, making it less efficient. On the other hand, a wheel with a smaller moment of inertia will be easier to accelerate and decelerate, making it better for activities like cycling or driving.

5. How can the moment of inertia of a wheel be changed?

The moment of inertia of a wheel can be changed by altering its mass or its distribution of mass. This can be achieved by adding or removing weight, changing the shape of the wheel, or changing the material it is made of. For example, a lighter wheel with more weight near the outer edge will have a lower moment of inertia compared to a heavier wheel with most of its weight near the center.