Moment of inertia particle problem

In summary, the problem involves a system of four particles connected by rigid rods rotating in the xy plane around the z-axis at a given angular speed. The goal is to find the rotational kinetic energy of the system using the formulas for moment of inertia and rotational KE. The direction of rotation is not specified and does not affect the solution.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

Four particles with masses 2 kg (top left corner), 3 kg (bottom left corner), 4 kg (bottom right corner), and 5 kg (top right corner) are connected by rigid rods of negligible mass. The origin is centered on the center of the rectangle of sides 0.8 length and 0.6 breadth. If the system rotates in the XY plane about the z axis with angular speed of w=5 rad.sec. What is the rotational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

I=mr^2 and KE rot = .5 Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use the formulas but the main problem for me is to determine the axis of rotation. Why did it mention both XY plane and Z axis. Which one exactly is the axis of rotation. Moreover, if it is the Z axis, how can we get R? Thanks to whoever contributes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reread the problem statement. It tells you that the system (masses) lie in the xy plane, that it rotates around the z-axis, and where the origin is located.

where is the word LIE?

ehabmozart said:
where is the word LIE?

If the system rotates in the xy plane, then by direct inference it lies in the xy plane.

I want to have a better view. How will it rotate... If it rotates out of the page, then we have to draw a diagonal or vertical or horizontal line??

The masses form a rectangle in the xy plane. The z axis passes through the center of the rectangle. The rectangle rotates around the z-axis.

So how would you approach the question if it says that it rotates clockwise or anticlockwise??

ehabmozart said:
So how would you approach the question if it says that it rotates clockwise or anticlockwise??

Does the problem state what direction it rotates? Does it matter? Does rotational kinetic energy depend upon the direction of rotation?

No, i mean is this a similar statement to say that it rotates clockwise for example??

ehabmozart said:
No, i mean is this a similar statement to say that it rotates clockwise for example??

Sorry, I don't know exactly what you're asking. All I can tell from the question statement as presented is that the system is rotating, as a whole, in the xy-plane and that the center of rotation is at the center of the rectangle. Whether that rotation is clockwise or counterclockwise is not given, nor does it matter for determining the rotational KE.

1. What is moment of inertia in a particle problem?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a particular axis. In a particle problem, it refers to the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its square distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia in a particle problem?

The moment of inertia in a particle problem can be calculated by summing up the individual moment of inertia values for each particle, using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the particle and r is its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia in a particle problem?

The units of moment of inertia in a particle problem depend on the unit of mass and distance used. In SI units, the unit of moment of inertia is kg*m^2.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a particle?

The larger the moment of inertia, the greater the resistance to rotational motion. This means that it will take more force to accelerate or decelerate the particle's rotation, and the particle will rotate at a slower speed compared to an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia in a particle problem?

The distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia in a particle problem because it determines how the mass is spread out from the axis of rotation. A particle with the majority of its mass located far from the axis will have a greater moment of inertia compared to a particle with the same mass but with a more compact distribution.