1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

uno

1. Determine the moment-of-inertia in kg/m^2 of a solid disk 0.51 m in diameter, having a mass of 5.0 kg.

2. I=mr^2

3. I thought the formula was I = mr^2. Mass = 5kg and the radius = .255m, but when I enter the answer of .325 it is incorrect. Am I using the correct formula? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. mr^2 is correct for a cylindrical shell. Your disk is solid. Why don't you look up the correct formula?

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

uno

You know what DICK? I am studying physics for the 1st time and I am working very hard at it so I would appreciate a little courtesy for those of us who "aren't as smart as you"

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apologies for being direct, but look. If you think you might have the wrong formula, you might try to look up the formula for the MOMENT OF INERTIA OF A DISK. Is that too much to ask? Geez. Aren't you being a little quick to take offense? Do you expect me to just tell you the answer? Then you are asking too much.

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5

uno

I apologize for jumping to offense. I just get frustrated with all of this and it takes me a while to understand some of the problems.

Thanks for helping out.

7. Nov 8, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's ok. I understand people get stressed with unfamiliar material and sometimes I see the answer as far more obvious than they do. You did get it right?

8. Nov 8, 2008 #7

uno

Yes, I got it. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?