Moment of Inertia: Mass, Radius, Formula

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of inertia of a solid disk with a mass of 5.0 kg and a diameter of 0.51 m. The formula I=mr^2 is initially mentioned, but it is pointed out that this is the formula for a cylindrical shell, not a solid disk. The correct formula for the moment of inertia of a disk is suggested to be looked up. The person asking for help apologizes for getting offended and thanks the expert for their help.
uno
1. Determine the moment-of-inertia in kg/m^2 of a solid disk 0.51 m in diameter, having a mass of 5.0 kg.

2. I=mr^2

3. I thought the formula was I = mr^2. Mass = 5kg and the radius = .255m, but when I enter the answer of .325 it is incorrect. Am I using the correct formula? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. mr^2 is correct for a cylindrical shell. Your disk is solid. Why don't you look up the correct formula?

You know what DICK? I am studying physics for the 1st time and I am working very hard at it so I would appreciate a little courtesy for those of us who "aren't as smart as you"

Apologies for being direct, but look. If you think you might have the wrong formula, you might try to look up the formula for the MOMENT OF INERTIA OF A DISK. Is that too much to ask? Geez. Aren't you being a little quick to take offense? Do you expect me to just tell you the answer? Then you are asking too much.

I apologize for jumping to offense. I just get frustrated with all of this and it takes me a while to understand some of the problems.

Thanks for helping out.

That's ok. I understand people get stressed with unfamiliar material and sometimes I see the answer as far more obvious than they do. You did get it right?

Yes, I got it. Thanks again.

1. What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is often referred to as the "rotational mass" of an object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps to explain how objects behave when they are rotating. It is used in many equations and calculations related to rotational motion, such as torque and angular acceleration.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass has a significant impact on the moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the center have a lower moment of inertia, while objects with mass distributed farther from the center have a higher moment of inertia.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change if the mass or distribution of mass of an object changes. For example, if a rotating object loses or gains mass, its moment of inertia will change accordingly. Additionally, the moment of inertia can change if the axis of rotation is changed.