Calculate the moment of inertia of an object

In summary, the moment of inertia is a measure of how resistant an object is to rotational motion. It is based on how easy it is for a point mass at a certain distance from an axis to rotate about that axis.
Panphobia
So we just learned about moment of inertia in my first year physics class, and how to calculate it. Though I do know how to calculate the moment of inertia of an object, I don't really know what it is. I tried looking on wikipedia and the explanations just seem to be equations. What exactly is the moment of inertia in semi layman's terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a measure of the resistance of a body to undergo rotational motion due to the application of a torque to that body. It's analogous to the effect that the mass of a body has on the amount of acceleration produced by a given force applied to that body.

For a given body of mass 'm', the application of a certain force F will produce an acceleration 'a'
(F = ma). If the mass is doubled and the force remains the same, the acceleration will be half of the original amount.

For rotation, the moment of inertia J is the constant of proportionality between the applied torque T and the rotational acceleration α, such that T = Jα.

Likes 1 person
So basically it is a measure of how easy it is for an object to rotate when it is rotating x distance from the centre of mass?

Last edited:
Panphobia said:
So basically it is a measure of how easy it is for an object to rotate when it is rotating x distance from the centre of mass?

It is a measure of how easy it is for an object to rotate about a specified axis.

It is based on how easy it is for a point mass at distance x from an axis to rotate about that axis. You add up the "how hard it is" for every point in an object and that's the moment of inertia.

Often, the axis will be taken to be the object's center of mass. But it does not have to be. You can compute the moment of inertia of a stick about its center or its moment of inertia about one end.

Likes 1 person
Ok now that makes sense, thank you both!

I actually wanted to know the condition for toppling of a body on a horizontal rough surface ..
Plzz help

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and how much force is needed to change their rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by taking the summation of the mass of each individual particle in an object, multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass and a greater distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's resistance to change in motion and cannot have a negative value.