Moment on a a semi quarter plate

In summary: For choice of axis, it usually helps to pick a point with one or several unknown forces acting through it, so they do not feature in the equation. You will need equations for more than one axis, but they can pass through the same point.You should be able to knock off Fax and Fay straight away.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for a moment about different axes, but is having difficulty.
werson tan

Homework Statement

I have 750+CD +200=200-Fay -Fby = 0
then can someone suggset at which point or axis i should calculate the moment ? seems like no point / axis is suitable to do that ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0140[1].JPG
    DSC_0140[1].JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 270
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't lnow why you have an extra 200 on each side, but since they cancel it doesn't matter.
You mean Faz and Fbz, no?
Which way does the force act in CD?

For choice of axis, it usually helps to pick a point with one or several unknown forces acting through it, so they do not feature in the equation. You will need equations for more than one axis, but they can pass through the same point.

You should be able to knock off Fax and Fay straight away.

haruspex said:
ch side, but sin
haruspex said:
I don't lnow why you have an extra 200 on each side, but since they cancel it doesn't matter.
You mean Faz and Fbz, no?
Which way does the force act in CD?

For choice of axis, it usually helps to pick a point with one or several unknown forces acting through it, so they do not feature in the equation. You will need equations for more than one axis, but they can pass through the same point.

You should be able to knock off Fax and Fay straight away.
for moment about A , i have 350(1) +CD(3) +200(3)+200(3√2)-FBZ(3√2) = 0
1798.5=-3CD+FBZ(3√2)
for moment about B , i have -200(1.55)-3CD-350(√13)+FAZ(3√2) =0
-1572=3CD-FAZ(3√2)
for moment about C, i have -350(2)+FAZ(3)+200(3)+200(3)-3FBZ= 0
500=3FBZ-3FAZ

I have tried to plug in the ans to see whether my working is correct or not . but , unfortunealy , my ans is wrong ...
the given ans is FBZ= 373N , FAZ=333N , CD=43.5N

In a 3D world, moments are not about a point but about an axis. Follow Haru's advice and look at moments about AC and about AB

Likes werson tan
BvU said:
In a 3D world, moments are not about a point but about an axis.
To clarify, you can take moments about a point, but the moment you get will have an axis. That is, it will be a vector.
You can also choose to take moments about specific axes through the point. In that case each moment will be the component of the total moment parallel to the chosen axis. It's analogous to finding the net force as a vector, or finding the components of the net force along chosen axes.
werson tan said:
for moment about A , i have 350(1) +CD(3) +200(3)+200(3√2)-FBZ(3√2) = 0
As BvU indicates, this does not work. Those individual moments do not all have the same axis, so you cannot add them as scalars. Either find them as vectors, or take moments separately about the x, y, z axes through the point.

Last edited:

1. What is a moment on a semi quarter plate?

A moment on a semi quarter plate refers to the turning effect produced by a force applied at a certain distance from a fixed point on a semi quarter plate. It is a measure of the plate's resistance to being rotated around that fixed point.

2. How is a moment on a semi quarter plate calculated?

A moment on a semi quarter plate is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the fixed point to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the moment on a semi quarter plate?

The moment on a semi quarter plate is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force applied, as well as the distance between the force and the fixed point. The shape and material of the plate can also impact the moment.

4. How is a moment on a semi quarter plate different from a moment on a full quarter plate?

A moment on a semi quarter plate is only calculated for a portion of the plate, while a moment on a full quarter plate takes into account the entire plate. This means that the moment on a full quarter plate may be larger, as it considers a greater surface area.

5. What is the significance of understanding moments on semi quarter plates?

Understanding moments on semi quarter plates is important in engineering and physics, as it allows for the prediction and analysis of the behavior of objects under different forces and distances. This knowledge is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand external forces and maintain stability.