Momentum eigenfunctions proof and Fourier Transform question

In summary: However, ##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## does not have a minus sign on the exponent because the eigenvalue is positive, while ##\phi_{\mathbf{r}}(\mathbf{k})## has a minus sign on the exponent because the eigenvalue is negative.
Joker93
I have the following problem:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13 KB · Views: 1,688
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define the operator ##\Psi##?

DrDu said:
How do you define the operator ##\Psi##?
the equations are from this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Position_and_momentum_spaceBut, is it a matter of how you define things? Isn't there a right way to do it that does not depend on how you define the operator? Excuse me if these questions are moronic, but I haven't been far into quantum mechanics yet(I am a self learner at this point).

I think you misunderstood the terms here. The first expression is the eigenfunction of momentum operator in position representation, and the second expression is the eigenfunction of position in momentum representation. They are not related by Fourier transformation.

Adam Landos said:
But, is it a matter of how you define things? Isn't there a right way to do it that does not depend on how you define the operator? Excuse me if these questions are moronic, but I haven't been far into quantum mechanics yet(I am a self learner at this point).
All I know from your post is that ##\Psi## apparently is an operator which has some eigenfunctions. So it seems appropriate to as for some more details before answering your questions.

blue_leaf77 said:
I think you misunderstood the terms here. The first expression is the eigenfunction of momentum operator in position representation, and the second expression is the eigenfunction of position in momentum representation. They are not related by Fourier transformation.
check this link by Wikipedia please

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Position_and_momentum_space

DrDu said:
All I know from your post is that ##\Psi## apparently is an operator which has some eigenfunctions. So it seems appropriate to as for some more details before answering your questions.
its all in the Wikipedia link that I have provided you with.

Adam Landos said:
its all in the Wikipedia link that I have provided you with.
I can't find any operator ##\Psi## in this link.

DrDu said:
I can't find any operator ##\Psi## in this link.
I think its r(hat)=i*d/dk
its in the link under "Functions and operators in momentum space"

You think so?!? So basically, we shall not only answer your question, but also guess what your question might be?

DrDu said:
You think so?!? So basically, we shall not only answer your question, but also guess what your question might be?
I found it in the link(by Wikipedia) and I also have given you the link and told you where to look for it. I "think so" because I have not seen operators in my self-stude of quantum mechanics yet, I am a beginner as I warned you.

DrDu said:
in the link, it writes: "position operator r(hat)".

Note the presence of subscripts in ##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## and ##\phi_{\mathbf{r}}(\mathbf{k})##, their presence give them different meaning from ##\psi## and ##\phi## without subscripts. It's true that ##\psi(\mathbf{r})## and ##\phi(\mathbf{k})## are related through Fourier transform, because both functions actually represent the same state, they are just represented in different space. On the other hand, ##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## and ##\phi_{\mathbf{r}}(\mathbf{k})## are not related through Fourier transform as they correspond to different state (more precisely because they are eigenfunctions of different operators).
Adam Landos said:
I am a beginner as I warned you
For beginners, Wikipedia and other online sources are often not very good resources to learn because they are generally not designed to initiate learning. It's advisable to start your adventure from standard textbooks.

blue_leaf77 said:
Note the presence of subscripts in ##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## and ##\phi_{\mathbf{r}}(\mathbf{k})##, their presence give them different meaning from ##\psi## and ##\phi## without subscripts. It's true that ##\psi(\mathbf{r})## and ##\phi(\mathbf{k})## are related through Fourier transform, because both functions actually represent the same state, they are just represented in different space. On the other hand, ##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## and ##\phi_{\mathbf{r}}(\mathbf{k})## are not related through Fourier transform as they correspond to different state (more precisely because they are eigenfunctions of different operators).
yes, sorry for the misunderstanding.
But, why does Ψk have a plus sign on the exponent while Φr has a minus sign?

Adam Landos said:
why does Ψk have a plus sign on the exponent while Φr has a minus sign?
##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## is an eigenfunction of momentum operator ##\hat{\mathbf{p}} = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{r}}##, so, to calculate ##\psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})## you need to solve
$$
\mathbf{p} \psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r}) = -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial \mathbf{r}} \psi_{\mathbf{k}}(\mathbf{r})
$$

1. What is a momentum eigenfunction?

A momentum eigenfunction is a specific type of wave function that describes the probability of finding a particle with a specific momentum value. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation and is represented by a complex-valued function.

2. How is the momentum eigenfunction proof related to the Fourier Transform?

The momentum eigenfunction proof and the Fourier Transform are closely related. The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its frequency components. Similarly, the momentum eigenfunction proof involves decomposing a wave function into its momentum components.

3. What is the significance of the momentum eigenfunction proof?

The momentum eigenfunction proof is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the momentum states of a quantum system. It allows us to calculate the probabilities of a particle having a specific momentum value and has applications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.

4. Can the momentum eigenfunction proof be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the momentum eigenfunction proof is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and can be applied to any quantum system. However, the specific form of the proof may vary depending on the system's properties and the context in which it is being used.

5. How does the momentum eigenfunction proof relate to the uncertainty principle?

The momentum eigenfunction proof is closely related to the uncertainty principle. According to the uncertainty principle, it is not possible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The momentum eigenfunction proof is a way to mathematically describe this uncertainty and the relationship between a particle's position and momentum.