What factors determine the acceleration of vehicles in a head-on collision?

In summary, a head-on collision between a compact car and a large truck will result in both vehicles experiencing equal force of impact, impulse, and change in momentum according to Newton's laws. The only difference would be in the greater acceleration experienced by the smaller and lighter compact car compared to the larger and heavier truck.
Jonathan Teas
Hello,
I am taking a college level physics course and have a question.
Heres the question...
"Acompact car and a large truck have a head-on collision. Durring the collision, which vehical, if either, experiences:"
a. the greater force of impact? please explain
b. the greater impulse? please explain
c. the greater change in momentum? please explain
d. the greater acceleration? please explain
I did the answers myself and got all but one wrong...i know that there all equal except d, but i don't know why. I looked in the book and i didnt like there explanation and my teacher i can't speak to for another 3 days so I would greately appreciate it if this was answered...

Physics news on Phys.org

Newton's 3rd Law tells us that the force of A on B is equal (but opposite in direction) to the force of B on A.
The time it takes the objects to stop is the same for both as they are mutually in contact with each other for the same time.
Impulse is force times time so they must have the same impulse.
Impulse is equal to change in momentum (Newton's 2nd Law) so they must both experience the same change in momentum.

Thank you:
Newtons laws can explain anything in kinamatics lol

What is momentum impulse problem?

Momentum impulse problem refers to a physics concept that involves the application of forces over a period of time to change the momentum of an object.

What is the formula for calculating momentum impulse?

The formula for calculating momentum impulse is: Impulse = Change in Momentum = F x Δt, where F is the force applied and Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied.

How does momentum impulse affect an object's motion?

Momentum impulse can affect an object's motion by changing its velocity. If a larger impulse is applied, the object will experience a greater change in momentum and hence a greater change in velocity. Similarly, a smaller impulse will result in a smaller change in velocity.

What is the difference between momentum and impulse?

Momentum refers to the quantity of motion an object possesses, while impulse refers to the change in momentum caused by a force applied over a period of time. In other words, momentum is a property of an object, while impulse is a measure of the effect of a force on an object's momentum.

How is momentum impulse problem applied in real life?

Momentum impulse problem is applied in real life in various fields such as sports, transportation, and engineering. For example, in sports, athletes use momentum impulse to increase the power of their movements, while engineers use it to design safe and efficient transportation systems.