• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Momentum-impulse vs. rectilinear motion equations

• Thread starter cipotilla
  • Start date
Here we are again...We have apully system as seen on page 1 of the attachment. I tried using the rectilinear motion equations, assuming a=constant, but the book's solution used the momentum-impulse equations and got a different answer.

I dont understand why my approach is incorrect... Thanks.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Nothing wrong with using kinematics with constant acceleration. But how did you solve for the acceleration?

I just assumed the acceleration was gravity...I'm guessing there's something wrong with that assumption...but I dont know what...

Its not gravity because its not free falling. I cant believe I made that mistake. I would have to use Sum of forces=ma and find the acceleration if i wanted to use kinematics, right?

Doc Al
Mentor
The "acceleration due to gravity" applies to a freely falling object--where the only force acting is gravity. But these objects are attached to ropes and pulleys--they are not freely falling! Solve for the acceleration like in any other pulley problem.

Doc Al
Mentor
Its not gravity because its not free falling. I cant believe I made that mistake. I would have to use Sum of forces=ma and find the acceleration if i wanted to use kinematics, right?
Exactly. (I knew you'd snap out of it. :smile: )