1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum-impulse vs. rectilinear motion equations

1. Mar 2, 2007 #1
    Here we are again...We have apully system as seen on page 1 of the attachment. I tried using the rectilinear motion equations, assuming a=constant, but the book's solution used the momentum-impulse equations and got a different answer.

I dont understand why my approach is incorrect... Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Nothing wrong with using kinematics with constant acceleration. But how did you solve for the acceleration?

4. Mar 2, 2007 #3
    I just assumed the acceleration was gravity...I'm guessing there's something wrong with that assumption...but I dont know what...

5. Mar 2, 2007 #4
    Its not gravity because its not free falling. I cant believe I made that mistake. I would have to use Sum of forces=ma and find the acceleration if i wanted to use kinematics, right?

6. Mar 2, 2007 #5

Doc Al

The "acceleration due to gravity" applies to a freely falling object--where the only force acting is gravity. But these objects are attached to ropes and pulleys--they are not freely falling! Solve for the acceleration like in any other pulley problem.

7. Mar 2, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Exactly. (I knew you'd snap out of it. :smile: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?