1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum question. Acceleration on a moving track

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I've a question that is baffling me a little.

If a train was made so that it would act as a moving track / roadway and the cars were connected so as to complete a length of the track, in an oval for example. Say we accelerate the moving trackway to 100 Mph, and then a car accelerates to 100mph. Total speed = 200mph.

Now say you have a moving track on top of the railway track. Are all of the speeds combined, is it even possible? Would I imagine it would be like running on a travelator? So long as you joined the train at 100mph would you instantly accelerate to 200 mph?
    It is hurting my brain and I know something in my thinking is incorrect!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did that "instantly" come into this?

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3
    Ah yes I see now,

But once on the train you could then accelerate the vehicle and go 200mph....

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you mean something like this: Say a train is moving at 100 mph East with respect to the ground/track. And you, on the train, are riding a motorcycle at 100 mph East with respect to the train. (Pretend it's a long flat bed train.) Then your speed with respect to the ground will be 200 mph.

Is that what you mean?

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    Yes thanks :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook