How Do Momentum and Kinetic Energy Influence Collision Outcomes?

In summary: If the masses are cylindrical are they made to have the same length but...If the masses are cylindrical, they will be the same length.
Mohamad
Suppose object1 with mass m and velocity v has collided with a block. Also, object2 that has identical shape and dimensions with mass m/2 and velocity 2v has collided to that block. Since the momenta of two objects are identical but the kinetic energy of object2 is twice:
  1. Are the forces between objects and block at the moment of collision different?
  2. Are the results of collisions different? I want to know which of them - momentum or energy - has influence on the result of collision.
PS, in another situation we can suppose the mass of object2 is 4m and the velocity is v/2, so the kinetic energy is similar to object1 but the momentum is twice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mohamad said:
Summary: Which of them has influence on the result of a collision? Change in momentum, change in kinetic energy or both?

Suppose object1 with mass m and velocity v has collided with a block. Also, object2 that has identical shape and dimensions with mass m/2 and velocity 2v has collided to that block. Since the momenta of two objects are identical but the kinetic energy of object2 is twice:
  1. Are the forces between objects and block at the moment of collision different?
  2. Are the results of collisions different? I want to know which of them - momentum or energy - has influence on the result of collision.
Have you ever heard of Newton's third law?

PeroK said:
Have you ever heard of Newton's third law?
I asked the difference between force of object1 and force of object2 on the block? They are two different situations. I can't understand the relationship with Newton's third law!

Mohamad said:
I asked the difference between force of object1 and force of object2 on the block? They are two different situations. I can't understand the relationship with Newton's third law!
Okay. What's stopping you doing the calculations yourself?

PeroK said:
Okay. What's stopping you doing the calculations yourself?
I don't know how to compute the force between objects, given mass and velocity.

Mohamad said:
I don't know how to compute the force between objects, given mass and velocity.
You can't. The force depends on the materials involved and how long the actual collision takes. Hard objects would have high forces and springlike objects would have low forces.

You can, however, calculate changes in energy and momentum that occur as a result of the collision.

Likes russ_watters
PeroK said:
The force depends on the materials involved
In both situations that I said, materials are identical, so it doesn't matter. I don't want an actual number for amount of force. I only want a comparison between forces in these two situations.
PeroK said:
calculate changes in energy and momentum
Suppose we don't know anything about the after of collison. Can we do a comparison between the collisions of these two situations:
  • The energy of object2 is equal to object1 but the momentum is different. (object1 and object2 collide to an identical block)
  • The momentum of object2 is equal to object1 but the energy is different. (object1 and object2 collide to an identical block)

Mohamad said:
In both situations that I said, materials are identical, so it doesn't matter. I don't want an actual number for amount of force. I only want a comparison between forces in these two situations.

Suppose we don't know anything about the after of collison. Can we do a comparison between the collisions of these two situations:
  • The energy of object2 is equal to object1 but the momentum is different. (object1 and object2 collide to an identical block)
  • The momentum of object2 is equal to object1 but the energy is different. (object1 and object2 collide to an identical block)
You need to post your best attempt at these problems.

As I said before, the actual forces depend on assumptions about the materials and how they deform when they collide. You're better off looking at impulse in these cases.

Alternatively, you could model the collision using an elastic spring.

Likes Mohamad
PeroK said:
Alternatively, you could model the collision using an elastic spring.
This is the approach that I would recommend. It will get you a "first order" answer at a minimum.

Mohamad said:
In both situations that I said, materials are identical, so it doesn't matter.
Actually, modeling the force of a collision the details matter very much. In fact, simply saying "same material" is insufficient. You actually have to describe the structure a bit. The key is to get an overall spring constant that you can use to model the force as a function of the compression distance. However, that does not only depend on the material, but also the shape of the structure. The same material has the same density, so to make a different amount of mass requires a different volume.

If the large mass is a solid sphere, then is the small mass a solid sphere of a smaller radius or is it a hollow sphere? The resulting spring constants will be different.

If the masses are cylindrical are they made to have the same length but different diameter (more massive will have higher spring constant) or are they made to have the same diameter but different length (more massive will have lower spring constant) or are they made to differ in both diameter and length such that their spring constants are the same?

Likes Mohamad
Mohamad said:
To me, these questions have simple but not particularly useful answers:

1. Probably yes.
2. Yes; both.

The problem here in my opinion is that "results of collisions" doesn't mean anything. What results? Most often for simple physics problems, the "results" are momentum and kinetic energy. Force is not often as useful. But it is kind of up to you what you want - and for you to define.

Likes Mohamad and PeroK
Thanks a lot, I understood the faults and oversimplifications in my question.

Likes Dale
Mohamad said:
forces between objects and block at the moment of collision
It should be remembered that there is never a 'moment' of a collision. Collisions are never instantaneous; they always take some time. The shorter the time, the greater the forces involved. Two steel balls colliding will have greater forces between them than two rubber 'super balls' and two 'perfect' sponges would have even lower forces between them - because the times are so different.

Likes Mohamad

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's energy of motion, taking into account only its mass and speed. In other words, momentum is a vector quantity while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity.

2. How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related in that they both involve an object's mass and velocity. However, momentum also takes into account the direction of the object's motion, while kinetic energy does not. Additionally, momentum can be conserved in a closed system, while kinetic energy is not always conserved due to external forces.

3. Which one is more important in determining the outcome of a collision: momentum or kinetic energy?

In most cases, momentum is more important in determining the outcome of a collision. This is because momentum is conserved in a collision, meaning that the total momentum before the collision must equal the total momentum after the collision. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, may not be conserved due to external forces.

4. Can an object have momentum but no kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have momentum but no kinetic energy. This can occur when an object is at rest, as it still has a mass and therefore has momentum. However, since kinetic energy is dependent on an object's speed, an object at rest will have no kinetic energy.

5. How can momentum and kinetic energy be calculated?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. Kinetic energy can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by half of its speed squared. Both momentum and kinetic energy are measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).