1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monic Greatest Common Divisor

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the monic greatest common divisor of two polynomials a = 6x6 + 12x5 - 6x4 -12x +12 and b = 3x4 - 3.

2. Relevant equations

The Euclidean Algorithm.

3. The attempt at a solution

Applying the Euclidean Algorithm, I have

a = 6x6 + 12x5 - 6x4 -12x +12 = (3x4 - 3)(2x2 + 4x -2) + (6x2 + 6)

b = 3x4 - 3 = (6x2 + 6)(##\frac {1}{2}##x2 - ##\frac {1}{2}##)

Now a monic polynomial has a leading coefficient of degree 1. Here, we have a common divisor of 6x2 + 6 which is not monic. How would I go about finding the monic greatest common divisor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

(6x2 + 6) = 6(x2 + 1)?
    Your factorization of b has an error.

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3
    I have fixed it. I'm still unsure how to find the monic greatest common divisor.

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To minimise your embarrassment, I feel it is best to let you think a bit more about that.

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5
    Why would I be embarrassed when I don't initially understand something? It may not be initially obvious to me, hence why I have asked for help.

As it turns out, in the general case I am able to divide the common divisor by a constant to attain the monic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted