Was the man killed by a moose or a car?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, the man was killed by a car, but the body was dragged several hundred meters after being hit.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A man on a moose hunting team was reported missing, and was found dead by a search team by the sounds of a whimpering dog.
Both dog and man had visible injuries, possibly by a moose attack. But being some hundred metres from a road, it might have been a car that attacked him instead.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/10/20/nyheter/innenriks/dodsulukke/23963020/

Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
A man on a moose hunting team was reported missing, and was found dead by a search team by the sounds of a whimpering dog.
Both dog and man had visible injuries, possibly by a moose attack. But being some hundred metres from a road, it might have been a car that attacked him instead.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2012/10/20/nyheter/innenriks/dodsulukke/23963020/

You mean you have off road cars trained to attack moose hunters?

It was a suicide.

Borek said:
You mean you have off road cars trained to attack moose hunters?
No, but moose tend, from time to time, to amble along, or across, roads.
Perhaps the moose hunter was a lazy fellow, thinking he could catch a moose along the road, rather than by crawling about among the shrubs and tree roots?
After all, he was in his 60's so he might have had back problems or other ailments, before the moose kicked him out of his misery.

Sorry, I just don't get it. How did the body moved several hundred meters after being hit by the car? Was it carried by the moose? Or was the guy killed by the car and then run into the forest following the moose?

I have no problems imagining the moose killing the hunter, it is a huge and strong animal that knows how to deal with predators, I just don't see how the car could have been involved if the body was not on the road or the roadside.

Borek said:
Sorry, I just don't get it. How did the body moved several hundred meters after being hit by the car? Was it carried by the moose? Or was the guy killed by the car and then run into the forest following the moose?

I have no problems imagining the moose killing the hunter, it is a huge and strong animal that knows how to deal with predators, I just don't see how the car could have been involved if the body was not on the road or the roadside.

Perhaps the moose dragged the corpse into the shrubbery in order to get some winter snack?

Or, perhaps zoobyshoe is right:
Stumbling upon a beautiful mooselet might have driven him into abysmal self loathing due to his evil, murderous prior intention.

What happened in the incident where a moose hunter was killed by a moose?

The incident occurred when a moose hunter was out in the woods and was attacked by a moose. The exact circumstances of the attack are still under investigation.

Why did the moose attack the hunter?

The reason for the moose's attack is not yet known. It could have been due to the moose feeling threatened or defending its territory.

Was the hunter following proper safety precautions while hunting?

This information is not currently available. However, it is always important for hunters to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing bright clothing and being aware of their surroundings, when hunting in the wild.

What should people do if they encounter a moose in the wild?

If you encounter a moose in the wild, it is important to stay calm and keep a safe distance. Do not approach or attempt to feed the moose. Slowly back away and give the moose space to move away.

Are attacks by moose common?

Attacks by moose are relatively rare, but they can happen. It is important for people to be aware of their surroundings and respect wild animals in their natural habitats.