Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Geek Wounds [graphic]

1. Mar 23, 2006 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, engineering can be dangerous if you are an idiot. Today, I was in an attic - one that I had just commented on how open it was - when I ducked under one duct and came back up into the corner of a flanged joint between two sections of the next duct. It didn't hurt much, so I was thinking I was ok, but then I felt the cut and came back with fingers covered in blood. In seconds, it was running down my face. I was looking for something to stop the bleeding, but I liked my shirt and couldn't figure out how to get it off to get to my t-shirt, so I just leaned forward and cupped my right hand under my face to catch the dripping. I yelled for my assistant and he came with me (I climbed down a short ladder with one hand on the ladder and the other holding a teaspoon-full of blood). Fortunately, we were in a partially occupied, but fully-staffed nursing home, so while I went to the bathroom to get some paper-towels and clean some of the blood off my face and hands, my assistant found the nearest nursing station. They said the cut was borderline on whether or not it would need stitches, cleaned it up, shaved some of the hair around it, and sent me on my way.

My boss's wife is a nurse as well and we work out of his house, so I stopped on the way (I was driving - for a gusher, it actually stopped bleeding relatively fast, though it was still oozing a little) for some biga$$ bandaids and drove back to the home/office. One of my coworkers trimmed my hair with a clippers and tried to clip it close to the cut - but hooked it and pulled it back open. After it dried a little, my boss's wife cleaned it, put some butterfly bandages on it, and slapped a bigass band-aid over top of it.

Since my coworker did such a crappy job cutting my hair, the bandages were all coming off, so I bought myself a barber-style clipper and redid it all myself. I also used some liquid bandage (really just superglue) and redid all of the bandages.

I guess I'll be wearing a hat everywhere I go for the next week....

Moral of the story: dumb engineers should wear hardhats, but they don't because they are dumb.

Pics attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2006 #2

Evo

Oh geeze. :bugeye: :eek: :surprised I hope it will be ok. I'll bet it will hurt tomorrow.

4. Mar 23, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just glad your shoulders are hairier than mine. :rofl:

That sucks man, particularly the part where your friend caught it in the clipper and ripped it back open. I got a bit squeamish on that bit.

Hope you heal up quick, man. Maybe someone makes some "stylish" hard hats?

- Warren

5. Mar 23, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, isn't this the sort of thing that normally happens to you?

- Warren

6. Mar 23, 2006 #5
    My, what a fun day you had! Hope it heals well for you, luckly duct work gives it a nice clean cut.

7. Mar 23, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you could use some duct tape on it, to complete the irony?

- Warren

8. Mar 23, 2006 #7

Evo

Yep, except I'd never shave my head.

9. Mar 23, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it true that chicks dig scars?

- Warren

10. Mar 23, 2006 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dang it I was just about to...
    :grumpy:

11. Mar 23, 2006 #10

Evo

No.

Can we get rid of this minimum character limit? :grumpy:

12. Mar 23, 2006 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you'd just have people posting smilies which is really annoying
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

13. Mar 23, 2006 #12

Evo

:grumpy: .....

14. Mar 23, 2006 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown: I bet Russ looks pretty bad-ass now with his shaved head, though.

- Warren

15. Mar 23, 2006 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheer up, dear. You're just upset that someone else got injured this time, aren't ya?

- Warren

16. Mar 23, 2006 #15

Evo

I'm overdue for a major injury. I fixed my excersize bike last week and everyone was certain I would hurt myself once I got on it.

17. Mar 23, 2006 #16

Evo

He needs to milk this injury and get the girls fussing over him. :tongue:

18. Mar 23, 2006 #17

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, exactly! They'll all be competing to dress the good Sir's wound.

How can you hurt yourself on a stationary bike?! Unlike real bike riding, there are no SUVs driven by teenagers on cellphones, no Buicks piloted by old blue-hairs, nothing...

- Warren

19. Mar 23, 2006 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Says who? Either one is equally likely to end up in her exercise room.

20. Mar 23, 2006 #19

Evo

You forget who you're talking to. I almost killed myself standing in front of a fence. I lost my balance and fell into it and impaled my wrist. A "stationary" bike has moving parts.

21. Mar 23, 2006 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Be careful, Evo. Your computer uses electricity. I'm sure if anyone could find a way to kill themselves with +5V, it'd be you. :redface:

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?