More info about natural nuclear fission going critical 2 Million years ago?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
CPW
Messages
51
Reaction score
30
TL;DR
I find it fascinating that there is evidence from a uranium mine in West Africa that there may likely have been a nuclear fission natural reactor that went critical 2 million years ago. More info availble online at PF or somewhere else?
This week I read through the chapter "Energy from the Nucleus" inside the familiar intro physics textbook Halliday, Resnick, Walker. I found it fascinating that there is evidence from a uranium mine in West Africa that there may likely have been a nuclear fission natural reactor that went critical 2 million years ago. Is there more information availble online at PF or somewhere else, where the reader can go deeper?
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
"Studies have suggested this as a useful natural analogue for nuclear waste disposal." Very interesting!
 
CPW said:
Is there more information availble online at PF
https://www.physicsforums.com/search/3706040/?q=Oklo&o=date
 
I recall reading an article on this many years ago (1980s?). It was published in either Scientific American or Smithsonian magazine.