More Valuable: Military or Police

• News
  • Thread starter 0TheSwerve0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Military
In summary, the conversation revolves around the value and importance of having a good military or police force. Some argue that a strong police force is more beneficial since it directly deals with everyday issues while others believe a military is necessary for national defense and dealing with external threats. The analogy of comparing education and physical activity is brought up but doesn't seem fitting. The conversation also delves into the capabilities of each and their roles in society, with some suggesting that both are necessary for a strong and secure country. One person suggests that a strong military is not needed for preventing terrorism and that intelligence gathering and good border security should be the focus. Finally, the conversation touches on the idea of "minarchy" and not giving the state too much law enforcement power

On which do you place more value, military or police force?

• Military

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Police Force

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
0TheSwerve0
On which do you place more value? Would you rather have a better military or Police Force? I realize this value changes in the real world, but I don't think it's a worthless or unanswerable question. Feel free to post reasons, or dissect/flesh out the question further.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would rather have a good police force since my country faces no real military threat. I also think having a big military in this day and age isn't of much use for a defensive country.

A few nuclear weapons as a deterant will prevent just about any invasion and the police force should be responsible for preventing terrorist threats.

Both have drastically different purposes, its way too hard to make any real judgements on such a thing. That's like asking what's more important, education or physical activity.

I don't think that is the most fitting analogy. Obviously, though, you can make judgements on this, look at the first response. I thought about putting a third option for "both," but I think that's too obvious and doesn't take us into meaningful discussion. I did make the disclaimer on that point so we wouldn't get bogged down.

Well I believe the first post didn't take into account that police forces are in no way capable of preventing terrorism, only doing local level reactionary measures in most situations. A good military and it's agencies are more capable of dealing with situations outside borders and keeping a larger "eye" out on things. Both really have their places in society.

I suppose if one were not to think too much into it, a police force would have more value since the nature of police forces today compared to military forces is more direct towards the public. We see the police everyday and they help us with real world problems. When someone robs your house, you don't (although it'd be pretty sweet!) call in the Marines.

haha that woudl be sweet.

"911 emergency" "yes, someone just robbed my house!" "don't worry sir, the Marines are on their way!"

What would the Marines do? The crook's already in the next town. I'd rather have the CIA track him down (because they can!).

rachmaninoff said:
What would the Marines do? The crook's already in the next town. I'd rather have the CIA track him down (because they can!).

I don't know! But a tank coming down my street everytime i call 911 sounds pretty sweet!

This is not a very good poll, sorry. What do I like more, my left arm or my right arm? (You can only choose one)...yeah...O.K. :uhh:

Last edited:
Duh, left arm. It's 2% stronger.

I agree that this is a poll asking about two pretty unrelated things. And the fact of the matter is, a strong, safe, secure country requires both.

Duh, left arm. It's 2% stronger.

I know why its stronger, wink wink nod nod arooga arooga. Hah, only 2%, how sad!

Alrighty, nevermind then. Feel free to lock/delete thread.

Military can act as police, but police cannot act as military. :wink:

It's like asking if a car is better than a house. Of course is it. You can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.

It's like asking if a car is better than a house. Of course is it. You can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.

What about mobile homes, houseboats, airplane houses?

Airplane house?

Yeah, some people live in their airplane, like they own a 737.

Yah what about mobile homes!

Cant you read?

Pengwuino said:
Well I believe the first post didn't take into account that police forces are in no way capable of preventing terrorism, only doing local level reactionary measures in most situations. A good military and it's agencies are more capable of dealing with situations outside borders and keeping a larger "eye" out on things. Both really have their places in society.

But preventing terrorism imo doesn't require any offensive military capability. Just inteligence gathering and good border security. So a bloated military budget doesn't seem justified in my eyes, for my country that is. I am not comparing the states to sweden in anyway and your policies over there must be very different offcourse.

Pengwuino said:
When someone robs your house, you don't (although it'd be pretty sweet!) call in the Marines.

haha that woudl be sweet.

"911 emergency" "yes, someone just robbed my house!" "don't worry sir, the Marines are on their way!"

parachute troppers cracking down on the alley grandma robbers:tongue:

Busting up the local meth lab with tanks and rpg's :bugeye:

You don't need an rpg to blow up a meth lab. People seem to be blowing them up accidentally :biggrin:

I think it would milltary.If we got rid of the police force and kept the milltary we can it can still do what the police can do(if we let them opperate on u.s. soil)but if we got rid of the milltary and kept the police froce they won't be able to defend the country very well and they don't have fighters/bombers.

Actually minarchy would be best, not giving the state too much law enforcement powers.

1. What is the main difference between the military and police?

The main difference between the military and police is their primary role and jurisdiction. The military is responsible for defending the country against external threats and maintaining national security, while the police are responsible for maintaining law and order within the country. Additionally, the military is under the control of the federal government, whereas the police are under the control of local or state governments.

2. Which one is more powerful, the military or police?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively as both the military and police have different types of power. The military has the power to use lethal force and has access to advanced weapons and technology, making them more powerful in terms of physical strength. However, the police have the power to enforce laws and make arrests, giving them more authority in maintaining order within society.

3. Which one is more valuable to society, the military or police?

Both the military and police play crucial roles in society and are valuable in their own ways. The military protects the nation from external threats and maintains peace, while the police keep communities safe and uphold the law. It is difficult to determine which is more valuable as both are necessary for a functioning society.

4. How are the military and police trained differently?

The military and police have different training programs based on their respective roles and responsibilities. Military training focuses on combat and warfare tactics, physical fitness, and discipline. Police training includes law enforcement techniques, weapons training, and community relations. Both require rigorous training to prepare individuals for their specific duties.

5. Which one has a higher budget, the military or police?

The military typically has a higher budget than the police due to its larger role in national defense. However, the budget for police departments can vary depending on the size and needs of the community they serve. Both the military and police budgets are important for maintaining the safety and security of society.