Most profound quote from the Bible

• Thread starter Tigers2B1
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: I can't remember the show, but it's a show about a preacher and he always says "In summary, love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not self-seeking, it is not rude, it is not eager for revenge, it does not rejoice in wrong, but rejoices in the truth, love never fails."In summary, Warren writes about how some of the most profound passages in the Bible are love-focused. He lists Exodus 20:1-17, Proverbs 10:1-29:27, Nahum 1:1-15, and Ephesians 1:13. He also writes about Handel and Brahms setting various verses of the
Tigers2B1
I rarely, if ever, read the Bible so, to say I'm unfamiliar with passages in the Bible doesn't do the word "unfamiliar" justice. However, I was at the funeral of a friend's grandfather when the pastor read 1 Corinthians 13. Maybe it was the combination of the words and that lugubrious music they pipe in at funerals but the passage moved me. This got me to wonder what other gems of Biblical proportions I've missed. I'd like to hear what others have experienced as moving and/or profound passages in the Bible.

- 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 -

If I speak in the tongues of men and angels,
but have not love,
I have become sounding brass or a tinkling symbol.

And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.

And if I dole out all my goods, and
if I deliver my body that I may boast
but have not love, nothing I am profited.

Love is long suffering,
love is kind,
it is not jealous,
love does not boast,
it is not inflated.

It is not discourteous,
it is not selfish,
it is not irritable,
it does not enumerate the evil.
It does not rejoice over the wrong, but rejoices in the truth

It covers all things,
it has faith for all things,
it hopes in all things,
it endures in all things.

Love never falls in ruins;
but whether prophecies, they will be abolished; or
tongues, they will cease; or
knowledge, it will be superseded.

For we know in part and we prophecy in part.

But when the perfect comes, the imperfect will be superseded.

When I was a child,
I spoke as a child,
I reckoned as a child;

when I became an adult,
I abolished the things of the child.

For now we see through a mirror in an enigma, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know as also I was fully known.

But now remains
faith, hope, love,

these three;

but the greatest of these is love.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll leave this thread open as requested by the membership -- but please try to keep it about literature and not about religion. Thanks!

- Warren

Last edited:
I am going to list a few as I can't be bothered to write them out. I hope you have your Bibles at the ready:

Exodus 20:1 - 17

Proverbs 10:1 - 29:27

Nahum 1:1 - 15 (very strong)

Ephesians 1:13

There are a lot but here are a few for now.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Some lines seem to be very well written (some have a nice ring to them) - many of these are adapted for popular music.

Psalm 23:4, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" - Gangsta's Paradise (Coolio)

Ecclesiastes 3 : "a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build, ..."
adapted for Turn, turn, Turn (The Byrds)

Handel and Brahms set various verses of the Bible to music.

Here is a great site for bible quotes and comparisons between different bibles.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

main page:http://www.biblesearch.com/readtext.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Tigers2B1. It's a very beautiful quote. Also a favorite among many.

Matthew 1
2 Abraham begat Isaac, and Isaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat Judah and his brethren,
3 and Judah begat Pharez and Zarah of Tamar, and Pharez begat Hezron, and Hezron begat Ram,
4 and Ram begat Amminadab, and Amminadab begat Nahshon, and Nahshon begat Salmon,
5 and Salmon begat Boaz of Rahab, and Boaz begat Obed of Ruth, and Obed begat Jesse,
6 and Jesse begat David the king. And David the king begat Solomon, of her [who had been] Uriah's,
7 and Solomon begat Rehoboam, and Rehoboam begat Abijah, and Abijah begat Asa,
8 and Asa begat Jehoshaphat, and Jehoshaphat begat Joram, and Joram begat Uzziah,
9 and Uzziah begat Jotham, and Jotham begat Ahaz, and Ahaz begat Hezekiah,
10 and Hezekiah begat Manasseh, and Manasseh begat Amon, and Amon begat Josiah,
11 and Josiah begat Jeconiah and his brethren, at the Babylonian removal.
12 And after the Babylonian removal, Jeconiah begat Shealtiel, and Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel,
13 and Zerubbabel begat Abiud, and Abiud begat Eliakim, and Eliakim begat Azor,
14 and Azor begat Sadok, and Sadok begat Achim, and Achim begat Eliud,
15 and Eliud begat Eleazar, and Eleazar begat Matthan, and Matthan begat Jacob,
16 and Jacob begat Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was begotten Jesus, who is named Christ.

LoL, sorry, couldn't resist. Whenever I see this passage I'm reminded of Rev. Lovejoy from the simpsons reading this to his church...putting everyone to sleep.

23rd Psalm. The good Shepherd. Suffers a little from the fact that most people who read it aren't shepherds :smile: , but if you take time to understand what it meant to a shepherd, this is a very profound passage.

Luke 10:25-37 The story of the Good Samaritan.

Mathew 22:34-40 The question of the greatest commandment.

The 23rd Psalm is a beautiful poetic passage that expresses the Author's (Attributed to King David) relationship with God.

The other two Gospell stories pretty much sum up the teachings of Jesus.

check said:
Matthew 1
2 Abraham begat Isaac, and Isaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat Judah and his brethren,
3 and Judah begat Pharez and Zarah of Tamar, and Pharez begat Hezron, and Hezron begat Ram,
4 and Ram begat Amminadab, and Amminadab begat Nahshon, and Nahshon begat Salmon,
5 and Salmon begat Boaz of Rahab, and Boaz begat Obed of Ruth, and Obed begat Jesse,
6 and Jesse begat David the king. And David the king begat Solomon, of her [who had been] Uriah's,
7 and Solomon begat Rehoboam, and Rehoboam begat Abijah, and Abijah begat Asa,
8 and Asa begat Jehoshaphat, and Jehoshaphat begat Joram, and Joram begat Uzziah,
9 and Uzziah begat Jotham, and Jotham begat Ahaz, and Ahaz begat Hezekiah,
10 and Hezekiah begat Manasseh, and Manasseh begat Amon, and Amon begat Josiah,
11 and Josiah begat Jeconiah and his brethren, at the Babylonian removal.
12 And after the Babylonian removal, Jeconiah begat Shealtiel, and Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel,
13 and Zerubbabel begat Abiud, and Abiud begat Eliakim, and Eliakim begat Azor,
14 and Azor begat Sadok, and Sadok begat Achim, and Achim begat Eliud,
15 and Eliud begat Eleazar, and Eleazar begat Matthan, and Matthan begat Jacob,
16 and Jacob begat Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was begotten Jesus, who is named Christ.

LoL, sorry, couldn't resist. Whenever I see this passage I'm reminded of Rev. Lovejoy from the simpsons reading this to his church...putting everyone to sleep.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I love that quote! If only I knew what begat meant...

Does anyone else have a fondness for Ezekiel 25:17?

There are certainly quite a few I'm fond of, some may be rather 'rated', however.

I think the most moving verse is also the shortest: Jesus wept.
Don't remember where it's at- one of the Gospels, I would imagine.
Happy thoughts
Rachel

The host of a Christian radio program this morning was doing his darndest to get his deity off the hook for putting this in His Bible:

Isaiah 45:7 "I make peace and create evil. I the Lord do all these things."

A nagging wife is like a faucet going drip..drip..drip..drip...

-Proverbs

My favorite:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Gza said:
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

See post #10!

I think it's the only quote I have memorized!

You know, no matter how great it sounds in Pulp Fiction, that's not really Ezekiel 25:17. I think Samuel L. Jackson's character must have paraphrased it severely.

DarkEternal said:
You know, no matter how great it sounds in Pulp Fiction, that's not really Ezekiel 25:17. I think Samuel L. Jackson's character must have paraphrased it severely.
Noooooooooooooo!

I have nothing to believe in!

I have lost all faith!

The_Professional said:
A nagging wife is like a faucet going drip..drip..drip..drip...

-Proverbs

I don't know how biblical this is, but I like it. :smile:

Hey what about matthew 5 the beatitudes??
"Blessed are poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.
Bleassed are the purwe in heart for they will see God.
blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness for theirsis the kingdom of heaven."
Its a very good one and this one too is

My favorite is
Daniel 2:21-22
" He changes times and seasons;
he sets up kings and disposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness"

For all you Iron Maiden fans out there, excerpts from Revelations Chap XIII

Woe to you O Earth and sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath, for he knows the time is short. Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number, it's number is six hundred and sixty six.

The greatest biblical quote of all time would have to be from Malachi, 2:3:

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."

1. What is considered the most profound quote from the Bible?

The Bible is a complex and multifaceted text, and there are many quotes that could be considered profound. However, one of the most commonly cited is John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." This quote encapsulates the core message of Christianity and the sacrifice of Jesus for the salvation of humanity.

2. Why is this quote considered profound?

This quote is considered profound because it highlights the depth of God's love and the ultimate sacrifice he made for humankind. It also speaks to the core belief of many Christians - that through belief in Jesus, one can attain eternal life.

3. How does this quote impact people's lives?

For many people, this quote serves as a source of hope, comfort, and inspiration. It reminds them of God's unconditional love and the promise of eternal life through faith. It also serves as a reminder to live a life of love and selflessness, following the example of Jesus.

4. Is this quote relevant to people of all faiths?

While this quote comes from the Christian Bible, its message of love, sacrifice, and eternal life can resonate with people of all faiths. Many religions have similar beliefs and values, and this quote can serve as a unifying message for all people.

5. How can this quote be applied to daily life?

This quote can serve as a guiding principle for how one lives their life. It encourages people to show love and compassion to others and to have faith in God's plan. It also reminds individuals to reflect on their own actions and strive to live a life that is aligned with the teachings of Jesus.