Most simple way to dispence fluid one minim at a time ?

In summary, there are two main options for dispensing a fluid manually in small amounts: using a Micrometer Head affixed to a 1/2cc Insulin Syringe, or using an off-the-shelf pump such as the Hamilton Microlab 500. The Microlab 500 offers precise dispensing with a small diameter syringe and can be programmed through RS-232, but requires a non-standard cable. The Micrometer Head option may be more cost-effective, but may have alignment and tolerance issues.
GHooper
I have a project I am working on and can't decide what the simplest (and lowest cost) method would be to dispense a fluid manually one minim at a time (0.00208333 fluid ounce)

I though about a Micrometer Head affixed to a 1/2cc Insulin Syringe,
(1 minim, = 0.0591939 CC)

Any other ideas or off the shelf suggestions ?

Thanks...

Ghooper

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what kind of budget you have, but here's an off the shelf suggestion:

http://www.hamiltoncompany.com/products/oem/c/286/

The 3mm stroke can be set to a resolution of 30,000 steps, so with a small diameter syringe in the pump you can get very precise dispensing. One major downside though is having to use RS-232 and hyperterminal to program and run it. It also uses a non-standard pin layout for RS-232 so you have to either make your own cable or pay extra for theirs.

If you're going the cheapest way possible then your suggestion sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure how you will get it lined up perfectly concentric, and your stopper will likely compress so you will have some kind of offset. What kind of tolerance is reasonable for your project?

Last edited:
What are your tolerances?

1. What is the most simple way to dispense fluid one minim at a time?

The most simple way to dispense fluid one minim at a time is by using a graduated dropper or a calibrated syringe. These tools allow for precise measurement and dispensing of small volumes of fluid.

2. Do I need any special equipment to dispense fluid one minim at a time?

While it is possible to dispense fluid one minim at a time using a regular dropper or pipette, it is recommended to use a graduated dropper or calibrated syringe for more accurate and consistent results.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of my fluid dispensing?

To ensure accuracy when dispensing fluid one minim at a time, make sure to use a calibrated instrument, hold it at a vertical angle, and release the fluid slowly and steadily. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the instrument beforehand.

4. Can I use this method for any type of fluid?

The method of dispensing fluid one minim at a time can be used for most types of fluids, including water, oils, and solutions. However, certain fluids with high viscosity or surface tension may require a different method of dispensing.

5. Is there a limit to the volume of fluid that can be dispensed one minim at a time?

The volume of fluid that can be dispensed one minim at a time depends on the capacity of the instrument being used. Graduated droppers and calibrated syringes typically have a maximum capacity of 1-3 mL, so they are suitable for dispensing small volumes of fluid. However, if a larger volume is needed, multiple measurements and dispensing can be done consecutively.