Solving Motion Around a Dome: Time for Complete Circuit

• Thread starter ova5676
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: F = ma horizontally (i assume that's what you mean by "x") must also include a component of the tension... sorry, can you be more specific?I just solve for v, then v = d/t and rearrange for t?no, because F = ma horizontally (i assume that's what you mean by "x") must also include a component of the tension... sorry, can you be more specific?
ova5676

Homework Statement

"You are on a dome, which is a hemisphere, with a 90 m radius. You hold a rope to point A at the peak of the dome. The rope remains in contact with the outer surface of the dome and is long enough to make an angle of 25° as shown. You are given an initial horizontal velocity tangent to the dome and you move in a horizontal circle, keeping the rope tight. You have a maximum speed above which you cannot maintain contact with the frictionless dome surface.

What's the time that it takes you to complete one circuit around the dome at this speed?"

DKQjn.png

Homework Equations

Force equations, centripetal acceleration equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I'm thinking this is a centripetal acceleration question. Since the motion is in a horizontal circle I'm thinking I'll need the radius of the circle. I think the angle and dome radius form a right angle triangle so I can get the opposite side of the angle which would be the radius right? So now I have the radius.

I'm really confused on the initial velocity and maximum velocity thing, can someone explain that? No velocities were given, just the angle and the radius?

Is the force of gravity acting here or is it canceled by the normal force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone there?

edit: I think I got it. There has to be a vertical (or would it be horizontal) force of gravity acting on this guy as he's moving around this dome, correct? (I assume no normal force since there is no friction and Ff = uk * Fn) However, Fg must be equal to the centripetal force applied as he's moving across the dome to balance, correct? In other words:

Fnet = Fc = Fg

m*a = m*g

a = g

v^2 / r = mgcostheta

v = sqrt(mgcostheta/r)

that's how i would get v

to get d, i would get the circumference of the circle, but I'm not sure if it's 2*pi*r where r is the 90 m or if it's the opposite side of the angle?

with v and d, i would have v = d/t and rearrange for t = d/v.so where did i go wrong?

Last edited:
Anyone there?

So I'm guessing it's right?

Anyone there?

hi ova5676! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and a pi: π :wink:)
ova5676 said:
edit: I think I got it. There has to be a vertical (or would it be horizontal) force of gravity acting on this guy as he's moving around this dome, correct? (I assume no normal force since there is no friction and Ff = uk * Fn) However, Fg must be equal to the centripetal force applied as he's moving across the dome to balance, correct? In other words:

Fnet = Fc = Fg

m*a = m*g

a = g

v^2 / r = mgcostheta

v = sqrt(mgcostheta/r)

sorry, i don't understand this at all :confused:

there are two forces not one, the weight vertically down, and the tension along the tangent

start again :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi ova5676! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and a pi: π :wink:)

sorry, i don't understand this at all :confused:

there are two forces not one, the weight vertically down, and the tension along the tangent

start again :smile:

true, there should be tension... but how would I calculate tension? am i looking for the verticle component, as in Ty? if so, how do I get that angle?

i don't really understand how one incorporates tension?

ova5676 said:
true, there should be tension... but how would I calculate tension?

nobody's asked you for the tension, so ignore it

take components (of force and acceleration) perpendicular to it :smile:

tiny-tim said:
nobody's asked you for the tension, so ignore it

take components (of force and acceleration) perpendicular to it :smile:

so would it be like this:

ig9nW.png

If so, how would I get the forces perpendicular to the tension?

the components of forces? :wink:

there's only one candidate, and that's gravity …

just use cos as usual :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Can you be more confusing? I'm trying to solve the same problem.

Will splitting the force of gravity into it's x-component, then using that as the centripetal acceleration to solve for speed using the following formula work?

ac=v^2/r

tiny-tim said:

So Fnet = Fg where Fg = mgcos25?

Or Fnet = Fc = mv^2/r = mgcos25?

I just solve for v, then v = d/t and rearrange for t?

hi mike2732! :smile:
mike2732 said:
Will splitting the force of gravity into it's x-component, then using that as the centripetal acceleration to solve for speed using the following formula work?

no, because F = ma horizontally (i assume that's what you mean by "x") must also include a component of the tension :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi mike2732! :smile:no, because F = ma horizontally (i assume that's what you mean by "x") must also include a component of the tension :wink:

You just said:
tiny-tim said:

:S

Let me give this another shot, and if I'm wrong can you please try to be more helpful? :)

So incorporating tension: Ty= -Fg
then solve for Tx and use that acceleration as the centripetal acceleration?

Edit: wait.. that would just give you the same answer.. :|

mike2732 said:
You just said:
tiny-tim said:

yes … "perpendicular to the tension", not horizontal
So incorporating tension: Ty= -Fg
then solve for Tx and use that acceleration as the centripetal acceleration?

yes, that would do it …

but why bother with two equations when the one equation perpendicular to the string will solve it, without finding T? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

yes, that would do it …

but why bother with two equations when the one equation perpendicular to the string will solve it, without finding T? :wink:

what force is perpendicular to the tension?

tiny-tim said:

So it's Fgy, right? If you're looking at the diagram as a rotated coordinate system, Tension would be in the horizontal and Fg would have x- and y- components, correct?

ova5676 said:
If you're looking at the diagram as a rotated coordinate system …

"a rotated coordinate system" ? :confused:

why make things so complicated?

we can take components in any direction (in this case, perpendicular to the tension) without mucking about with the coordinate system :redface:

tiny-tim said:
"a rotated coordinate system" ? :confused:

why make things so complicated?

we can take components in any direction (in this case, perpendicular to the tension) without mucking about with the coordinate system :redface:

Why are you making things so complicated? XD

Can you explain the solution in more detail so we can actually understand?

Thanks

mike2732 said:
Why are you making things so complicated? XD

Can you explain the solution in more detail so we can actually understand?

erm :redface: … "we" ? :confused:

how am i supposed to help two different people with two different levels of understanding at the same time?​

Tiny-Tim, can the equation Fc= Fgy be used to solve the problem?

so it becomes mv^2/r=mgcos25

the masses cancel each other out.
and you get the v

then you can use v=2piR/T

tiny-tim said:
erm :redface: … "we" ? :confused:

how am i supposed to help two different people with two different levels of understanding at the same time?​

I think if you just listed the forces involved in the x- and y- components and you explain why the component section with forces perpendicular to the Tension should be used, we would all be on the same page.

ova5676 said:
I think if you just listed the forces involved in the x- and y- components and you explain why the component section with forces perpendicular to the Tension should be used, we would all be on the same page.

Agreed.

Basically just fully explain your solution.

Anyone got anything?

What is motion around a dome?

Motion around a dome refers to the movement of an object in a circular path around a curved surface, such as a dome-shaped structure.

What is the time for a complete circuit around a dome?

The time for a complete circuit around a dome depends on the speed of the object and the size of the dome. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2πr/v, where T is the time, r is the radius of the dome, and v is the speed of the object.

How does gravity affect motion around a dome?

Gravity plays a significant role in motion around a dome, as it is responsible for keeping the object in a circular path around the dome. It also affects the speed and time for a complete circuit, as objects will move faster if the gravitational force is stronger.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and motion around a dome?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of motion around a dome, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational force, which acts towards the center of the dome.

What are some real-life examples of motion around a dome?

Some real-life examples of motion around a dome include a roller coaster loop, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a pendulum swinging in a circular path.