How Does a Particle Reach Infinity in Finite Time with Angular Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle that experiences only angular force and how to show that it reaches infinity in a finite time. The solution involves solving for \dot{r}=\pm\sqrt{Ar^{4}+B} and then using integration to show that t<infinity.
Ertosthnes

Homework Statement

Consider a particle that feels an angular force only, of the form F[tex]_{\theta}[/tex] = 3m[tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]. Show [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]=[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{Ar^{4}+B}[/tex], where A and B are constants of integration, determined by the initial conditions. Also, show that if the particle starts with [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex]0 and [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]>0, it reaches r=[tex]\infty[/tex] in a finite time.

Homework Equations

F[tex]_{r}[/tex]=m([tex]\ddot{r}[/tex]-r[tex]\dot^{\theta}[/tex]^2)=0
F[tex]_{\theta}[/tex]=m(r[tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex]+2[tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already shown that [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]=[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{Ar^{4}+B}[/tex]. What I need to do now is show that it reaches r=[tex]\infty[/tex] in a finite time. I'm not sure what I need to do here... any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ertosthnes said:
I've already shown that [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]=[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{Ar^{4}+B}[/tex]. What I need to do now is show that it reaches r=[tex]\infty[/tex] in a finite time. I'm not sure what I need to do here... any thoughts?

Hi Ertosthnes! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and an infinity: ∞ :smile:)

(ooh … and use dashes rather than dots on this forum … they're easier to read!)

You need to solve dr/√(Ar4 + B) = dt. :wink:

(or you could "sandwich" it between two integrals that are easier)

Thanks Tim! Okay, obviously the integral as is would be pretty tough to solve. Could I say that dt = dr/√(Ar^4 + B) [tex]\leq[/tex] dr/(Ar^2), and then integrate to show that t<infinity?

Ertosthnes said:
Thanks Tim! Okay, obviously the integral as is would be pretty tough to solve. Could I say that dt = dr/√(Ar^4 + B) ≤ dr/(Ar^2), and then integrate to show that t<infinity?

Hi Ertosthnes! :smile:

(you could have used the ≤ a also :wink:)

… and it's always positive, so … yes, that's fine! :smile:

1. What is "motion in a plane" and how is it different from "motion in a straight line"?

"Motion in a plane" refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, usually represented on a coordinate plane. This is different from "motion in a straight line" which refers to movement in only one dimension.

2. What are the different types of motion in a plane?

The different types of motion in a plane include linear motion, circular motion, and projectile motion.

3. How do we calculate the displacement and velocity of an object in motion in a plane?

To calculate the displacement of an object in motion in a plane, we use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the displacement vector. Velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement by the time interval.

4. Can an object be in motion in a plane without any acceleration?

No, according to Newton's first law of motion, an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, any change in motion, including motion in a plane, requires acceleration.

5. How do we analyze the motion of an object in a plane using vectors?

Vectors are used to represent both the magnitude and direction of an object's displacement and velocity in a plane. By breaking down the vectors into their x and y components, we can analyze the motion of an object in a plane more accurately.