1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in a Plane Problem

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle that feels an angular force only, of the form F[tex]_{\theta}[/tex] = 3m[tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex]. Show [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]=[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{Ar^{4}+B}[/tex], where A and B are constants of integration, determined by the initial conditions. Also, show that if the particle starts with [tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex][tex]\neq[/tex]0 and [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]>0, it reaches r=[tex]\infty[/tex] in a finite time.

2. Relevant equations
    F[tex]_{r}[/tex]=m([tex]\ddot{r}[/tex]-r[tex]\dot^{\theta}[/tex]^2)=0
    F[tex]_{\theta}[/tex]=m(r[tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex]+2[tex]\dot{r}[/tex][tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already shown that [tex]\dot{r}[/tex]=[tex]\pm[/tex][tex]\sqrt{Ar^{4}+B}[/tex]. What I need to do now is show that it reaches r=[tex]\infty[/tex] in a finite time. I'm not sure what I need to do here... any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ertosthnes! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a square-root: √ and an infinity: ∞ :smile:)

(ooh … and use dashes rather than dots on this forum … they're easier to read!)

You need to solve dr/√(Ar4 + B) = dt. :wink:

(or you could "sandwich" it between two integrals that are easier)

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Thanks Tim! Okay, obviously the integral as is would be pretty tough to solve. Could I say that dt = dr/√(Ar^4 + B) [tex]\leq[/tex] dr/(Ar^2), and then integrate to show that t<infinity?

5. Oct 31, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Ertosthnes! :smile:

(you could have used the ≤ a also :wink:)

… and it's always positive, so … yes, that's fine! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?