How Do You Calculate the Time Before Deceleration in a Cycling Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cyclist traveling at 10ms^-1 who sees traffic lights 108m away. The cyclist continues cycling for a time T before decelerating and stopping at the lights 16.7 seconds after first seeing them. There is a question about calculating T, but the participants agree that there is not enough information given to solve for T. They mention the factors of deceleration and the velocities of other cyclists, but ultimately conclude that the solution cannot be determined without more information.
ghostbuster25
motion in a straight line...tough one

ok, a cyclist is traveling at 10ms^-1. he sees trafic lights ahead at 108m. He carries on cycling for a time T before decelerating and stopping at the lights 16.7seconds after he first saw the lights.

Calculate T

Im a bit stuck because i feel this question doesn't give enough information
If anyone could point me in the right way it would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

ghostbuster25 said:
ok, a cyclist is traveling at 10ms^-1. he sees trafic lights ahead at 108m. He carries on cycling for a time T before decelerating and stopping at the lights 16.7seconds after he first saw the lights.

Calculate T

Im a bit stuck because i feel this question doesn't give enough information
If anyone could point me in the right way it would be much appreciated :)

I agree that it seems that you need more information to calculate T. The rate of deceleration would impact how long the constant velocity could be kept up.

The question actually says
2 cyclists (B) traveling at 9ms^-1 and (A) traveling at 10ms^-1 are at the same point when they see traffic lights 108m away. B travels at its speed for a furthe 6seconds before decelerating and stopping at the lights. A travels for a time T before decelerating and reaching the lights at the same time as B

Calculate T

I worked out it took B 16.7 seconds to stop so figured that it has to be the same for A

Thats as much as i got :(

ghostbuster25 said:
The question actually says
2 cyclists (B) traveling at 9ms^-1 and (A) traveling at 10ms^-1 are at the same point when they see traffic lights 108m away. B travels at its speed for a furthe 6seconds before decelerating and stopping at the lights. A travels for a time T before decelerating and reaching the lights at the same time as B

Calculate T

I worked out it took B 16.7 seconds to stop so figured that it has to be the same for A

Thats as much as i got :(

Could you post your work for B that gave you 16.7 seconds to stop?

Hm, maybe you have to assume they can only decelerate at a fixed number lambda, so that you could use the same number from B for A. I did get 12 seconds for B's stopping time though...

Anyway, do you have access to an answer to know you're right or not?

6s*9ms^-1 = 54m
108m-54m = 54m

v^2=u^2+2as

0^2=9ms^-1 + 2a*54

a = -0.84359...ms^-2

t=v-u/a

t=0ms^-1/0.8435...ms^-2
t = 10.7s

total time = 6 + 10.7 = 16.7s

mr. vodka said:
Hm, maybe you have to assume they can only decelerate at a fixed number lambda, so that you could use the same number from B for A. I did get 12 seconds for B's stopping time though...

Anyway, do you have access to an answer to know you're right or not?

Hi how did you get 12?

no access to answers :(

ghostbuster25 said:
Hi how did you get 12?

no access to answers :(

sorry yer got 12 now, me calculating wrong lol

couldnt i use T and work iit out algebraically in an equation?

ghostbuster25 said:
6s*9ms^-1 = 54m
108m-54m = 54m

v^2=u^2+2as

0^2=9ms^-1 + 2a*54

a = -0.84359...ms^-2

t=v-u/a

t=0ms^-1/0.8435...ms^-2
t = 10.7s

total time = 6 + 10.7 = 16.7s
First of all you forgot the ^2 for the 9m/s, but that might be a typo. Still, if you have -81 = 108a, then a = 0.75

EDIT: woops, apparently I hadn't seen the last post before posting this...

And what do you mean "use T"? How can you use what you want to find? Anyway, if you can't assume A and B experience the same value for their acceleration, I think you simply don't have enough information to solve for T...

1. What is motion in a straight line?

Motion in a straight line is a type of motion where an object moves along a straight path without changing direction.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity in motion?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both speed and direction.

3. How is acceleration related to motion in a straight line?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. In motion in a straight line, acceleration can be caused by a change in speed or a change in direction.

4. What is the equation for calculating average speed?

The equation for average speed is distance divided by time, or v = d/t.

5. How does the slope of a distance-time graph relate to an object's speed?

The slope of a distance-time graph represents the object's speed. A steeper slope indicates a higher speed, while a flatter slope indicates a slower speed.