What is the total energy and velocity of a ball in a vertical circular path?

In summary, a 0.8 kg ball is whirled on a string r = 0.4 meters long in a vertical circular path. At the bottom of the circle, the ball has a speed of 3 m/s. The ball has a total energy of 13.6 J.
HumorMe81
A 0.8 kg ball is whirled on a string r = 0.4 meters long in a vertical circular path. At the bottom of the circle, the ball is h = 0.45 meters from the ground. At the top of the circle, the ball has a speed of 3 m/s. Assume that the total energy of the ball is kept constant.

a. Calculate total energy of the ball (ground is zero potential energy)
I chose the top most point of the circle to do ths since PE is maximum there.
ME = KE + PE
Ke = mv^2/2 = (.8kg)*(3m/s)^2/2 = 3.6 J
PE = mgh = (.8kg)*(10m/s^2)*(1.25m) =10 J
Total energy = 13.6 J

Im not sure if i calculated the PE correctly. I know that PE at the top of the circle is mg2r but then i have to consider the height from the ground to the top of the circle. So i figured i should add the distance from the ground up and multiply by mg. is that right?

Next part of the question asks me to calculate velocity at the bottom of the circle. Here KE is larger than PE.
ME = KE + PE
13.6 J = mv^2/2 + mgh
13.6 J = (.8kg * v^2)/2 + (.8kg)*(10m/s^2)*(.45m)
When i solve for velocity i get 5m/s. how can this be? Shouldn't it be 3m/s as it is on the top? What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is correct. Gravity pulls down on the ball, so it speeds up going down, and slows down going up. That's why it's going 3m/s at the top and 5m/s at the bottom.

And yes, you compute potential energy correctly for both cases, because problem explicitly states that 0 is to be taken at ground level. So the height of the ball is h at the bottom and h+2r at the top. That gives you mgh and mg(h+2r) respectively for potential energy.

Ok, thanks a lot for your help!

1. What is the definition of motion in a vertical circle?

Motion in a vertical circle refers to the circular motion of an object moving in a vertical plane, where the direction of motion is constantly changing.

2. What is the centripetal force in motion in a vertical circle?

The centripetal force in motion in a vertical circle is the force that acts towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving in a circular path. In this case, it is the force of gravity.

3. How does the speed of an object change in motion in a vertical circle?

The speed of an object in motion in a vertical circle is not constant. It increases as the object moves downwards, reaches its maximum at the bottom, and decreases as it moves upwards. This is due to the change in gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy.

4. What is the relationship between the radius and speed in motion in a vertical circle?

The radius and speed in motion in a vertical circle are inversely proportional. As the radius decreases, the speed increases and vice versa. This is because the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the speed and inversely proportional to the radius.

5. How is tension in the string related to the weight of the object in motion in a vertical circle?

The tension in the string is equal to the weight of the object in motion in a vertical circle at the bottom of the circle. As the object moves upwards, the tension decreases due to the decrease in speed and weight. At the top, the tension is equal to the centripetal force, which is provided by the weight of the object.