What is the physics behind line vortices and their equations of motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a line vortex and the equations of motion associated with it. The participants also mention a book that discusses vortex motion and some demonstrations of vortex behavior. The derivation of the equations is briefly mentioned, along with the use of a velocity potential and the role of Helmholtz's principle. The conversation ends with a mention of a video demonstration of vortex behavior.
etotheipi
I'm getting really stuck with understanding this example:

1606399298947.png

(Source: page 98)

What is a line vortex, and how do we derive those equations of motion? All I can tell is that the velocity of a given vortex depends on a contribution from every other vortex in the plane, but I wondered if someone could explain the physics of this problem? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the classic

H. Lamb, Hydrodynamics, Cambridge University Press

He has a long chapter on vortex motion.

Likes etotheipi
Thank you, I booked it! I'll post something if I determine the derivation :smile:

A line vortex is a line around which the fluid circulates. Roughly speaking, the diagram is an idealisation of three tornadoes - their winds interact, either adding or opposing, and this moves the vortices around. A neat demo you can find on YouTube is blowing smoke (or vape) rings. The rings are line vortices curved round into loops, and two rings interact in visually intriguing ways.

I've long forgotten the maths, I'm afraid.

Likes vanhees71 and etotheipi
Okay, after some reading I think I understand the construction now. Start with the vorticity equation,$$\frac{D\boldsymbol{\omega}}{Dt} = (\boldsymbol{\omega} \cdot \nabla) \boldsymbol{u}$$where the ##D/Dt## is the material derivative. If the flow is confined to a plane, then ##\boldsymbol{\omega} = \nabla \times \boldsymbol{u}## is orthogonal to the plane, which contains ##\nabla \boldsymbol{u}##. That means, the RHS is zero, and $$\frac{D \boldsymbol{\omega}}{Dt} = \boldsymbol{0}$$Vortices with cylindrical symmetry are described by a velocity potential ##\phi = k\theta##, i.e. ##\boldsymbol{u} = \nabla \phi = (k/r) \boldsymbol{\theta}##. If we have N vortices, then the resulting velocity potential is$$\phi(\boldsymbol{r}) = \sum_i^N k_i\theta_i$$where the ##\theta_i## are the angles of the line segments from the ##i##th vortex to the point ##\boldsymbol{r}##, w.r.t. the ##x## axis. Helmholtz tells us that any given vortex only experiences the velocity field arising due to all of the other vortices (and not due to itself), so $$\dot{\boldsymbol{r}}_i = \nabla_{\boldsymbol{r}_i} \left( \sum_{j \neq i}^N k_j \theta_j \right) = \sum_{j \neq i}^N k_j \nabla_{\boldsymbol{r}_i} \theta_j = \sum_{j \neq i}^N k_j \left( \frac{\boldsymbol{z} \times (\boldsymbol{r}_i - \boldsymbol{r}_j)}{|\boldsymbol{r}_i - \boldsymbol{r}_j|^2} \right)$$and when we break that into ##x## and ##y## components, I think that agrees with what Prof. Tong wrote (except the ##\gamma## terms are wrapped inside the ##k## terms here).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
A neat demo you can find on YouTube is blowing smoke (or vape) rings. The rings are line vortices curved round into loops, and two rings interact in visually intriguing ways.

These things are indeed pretty neat! 😲

Likes Ibix
That's a slightly more scientific video than I was thinking of. The one below is a guy doing tricks with an eCig, and he has a bit more control over the rings than the bucket gives you. About 1.50 and 2.35 you can see the rings he makes interacting - the latter is a classic where he blows one ring through another and they begin to orbit each other.

• Love
Likes etotheipi

1. What are line vortices and how do they form?

Line vortices are rotational structures that form in a fluid or gas when there is a difference in velocity between adjacent layers. This creates a shear force that leads to the formation of a vortex. Line vortices can also form in a solid medium, such as in superfluids or in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. What is the significance of line vortices in physics?

Line vortices are important in many areas of physics, including fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and meteorology. They play a crucial role in understanding the motion of fluids and gases, and their equations of motion are used to model and predict the behavior of these systems.

3. How do we mathematically describe the motion of line vortices?

The equations of motion for line vortices are based on the principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. They involve the use of vector calculus, specifically the curl and divergence operators, to describe the rotation and circulation of the vortices. These equations are known as the Navier-Stokes equations.

4. What are the applications of line vortices in engineering and technology?

Line vortices have many practical applications, such as in the design of aircraft wings and propellers, where understanding the behavior of vortices is crucial for optimizing performance. They are also used in the development of wind turbines, where vortices can cause turbulence and impact efficiency.

5. How do line vortices interact with each other and with their surroundings?

Line vortices can interact with each other in complex ways, depending on their relative strengths and orientations. They can merge, split, and even form more intricate structures like vortex rings. They also interact with their surroundings, causing changes in flow patterns and influencing the motion of nearby objects.