Motion of particle in an electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Falken_47
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose a proton is at rest and at the origin of some coordinate system. Then, electric field of E(r) = E0 X-hat is turned on. What is the position of proton at time t and then its velocity?

Homework Equations



E(r) = E0 X-hat

Fproton = e * E(r)

The Attempt at a Solution



By using, Fproton = e * E(r), I obtained

ma = e * E0 X-hat
a = ( ( e * E0 ) / m ) X-hat

therefore, integrating the equation, I obtained

v = ( ( e * E0 * t ) / m ) X-hat
x = ( ( e * E0 * t2 ) / ( 2 * m ) ) X-hat

(note that constant of integration is ignored because initial v and x is zero)

So, the above answer should be correct right? And when we graph it we would have a parabola for x and a line of constant slope for v which is then similar to the model of an object under constant acceleration?

I'm just making sure since the answer to the question is pretty much straightforward that I'm afraid I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Falken_47 said:

Homework Statement



Suppose a proton is at rest and at the origin of some coordinate system. Then, electric field of E(r) = E0 X-hat is turned on. What is the position of proton at time t and then its velocity?

Homework Equations



E(r) = E0 X-hat

Fproton = e * E(r)

The Attempt at a Solution



By using, Fproton = e * E(r), I obtained

ma = e * E0 X-hat
a = ( ( e * E0 ) / m ) X-hat

therefore, integrating the equation, I obtained

v = ( ( e * E0 * t ) / m ) X-hat
x = ( ( e * E0 * t2 ) / ( 2 * m ) ) X-hat

(note that constant of integration is ignored because initial v and x is zero)

So, the above answer should be correct right? And when we graph it we would have a parabola for x and a line of constant slope for v which is then similar to the model of an object under constant acceleration?

I'm just making sure since the answer to the question is pretty much straightforward that I'm afraid I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance!
That all looks good.

Technically, you're not ignoring the constants of integration. You have actually given the justification for them to be zero.