Motion of two trains physics problem

In summary: Now wright down two equations for two trains. And solve for x. From that you can find the minimum deceleration needed to avoid a collision.
ur5pointos2sl
Two trains heading straight for each other on the same track are 850m apart when their engineers see each other and hit the brakes, giving both trains a constant deceleration (a). The Express is heading west at a speed of 15.0 m/s, while the east bound Flyer is traveling at a speed of 25 m/s. Calculate the minimum deceleration (a) required for a collision to be avoided.

V1 speed of first train = 15.0 m/s
V2 speed of second train = 25 m/s
x=850 m

Can someone please help me solve this problem. I have been staring at it for about an hour and cannot even begin to go anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relevant kinematic equation which relates vi, vf, a and x?
In this problem what is the final velocities of the trains?
If west bound train moves a distance x m before it stops, what is the distance traveled by east bound train?

rl.bhat said:
What is the relevant kinematic equation which relates vi, vf, a and x?
In this problem what is the final velocities of the trains?
If west bound train moves a distance x m before it stops, what is the distance traveled by east bound train?

The kinematic equation would be..

V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (X-X0)

The final velocity would have to be 0 since they have to come to a complete stop to avoid a collision.

I am not really sure about the distance.. since the total distance is 850..possibly 850-x?

ur5pointos2sl said:
The kinematic equation would be..

V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (X-X0)

The final velocity would have to be 0 since they have to come to a complete stop to avoid a collision.

I am not really sure about the distance.. since the total distance is 850..possibly 850-x?
Yes. You are right. Now wright down two equations for two trains. And solve for x. From that you can find a.

rl.bhat said:
Yes. You are right. Now wright down two equations for two trains. And solve for x. From that you can find a.

ok let me try this

15^2 = 2a(850-x)

and

25^2 = 2a(850-x)

a = 25^2 / (1700 - 2x) plug back into eqn. 1? to solve for x?

ur5pointos2sl said:
ok let me try this

15^2 = 2a(850-x)

and

25^2 = 2a(850-x)

a = 25^2 / (1700 - 2x) plug back into eqn. 1? to solve for x?
First one should be
15^2 = 2ax.
Now 15^2/25^2 = 2ax/2a(850-x)
Solve for x.

rl.bhat said:
First one should be
15^2 = 2ax.
Now 15^2/25^2 = 2ax/2a(850-x)
Solve for x.

ok I get x = 225m is this correct? It was a little difficult to solve for x. The acceleration should cancel correct?

Also plugging that number back in I get the acceleration for both of the equations to be

a= -0.5 m/s^2 minimum

ur5pointos2sl said:
Also plugging that number back in I get the acceleration for both of the equations to be

a= -0.5 m/s^2 minimum
Yes. You are right.

1. What is the motion of two trains physics problem?

The motion of two trains physics problem is a classic physics problem that involves two trains traveling towards each other on the same track at different speeds. The problem requires you to calculate the time and distance it takes for the trains to collide.

2. How do you solve the motion of two trains physics problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, specifically the formula for distance, speed, and time (d = st). You will also need to understand the concept of relative motion and how it applies to the two trains moving towards each other.

3. What information do I need to know in order to solve the problem?

You will need to know the initial velocities of both trains, their relative positions, and the distance between them. You may also need to know the acceleration of the trains if there are any changes in speed during the motion.

4. Can this problem be solved using only basic physics principles?

Yes, this problem can be solved using only basic physics principles such as the equations of motion and the concept of relative motion. However, depending on the complexity of the problem, you may need to use more advanced principles such as calculus or vector analysis.

5. What are some real-life applications of the motion of two trains physics problem?

This problem is commonly used to illustrate the concept of relative motion in introductory physics courses. It also has practical applications in transportation planning and safety, as understanding the motion of two trains on the same track is crucial for avoiding collisions.