Speed of Train B: Solving Physics Homework

In summary, the problem involves two trains of different lengths running in opposite directions on parallel tracks. The length and speed of train A is given, and the length and passing time of train B are given. To find the speed of train B, one can use the concept of relative motion and consider an observer on train A. By observing the distance traveled by train B in half a second, the relative velocity of train B can be determined.
Starsfall

Homework Statement

Two trains run in opposite directions on parallel tracks. Train A is 30 meters long and runs east to west at 60 mph. Train B is 45 meters long and runs west to east. It takes 0.5 seconds for the trains to pass each other. How fast is train B travelling? What is the velocity of train B relative to train A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm new to physics and lost with this problem. The first thing I did was convert mph to m/s. (60 miles/hour x 1609m/1m x 1 hour/3600s). I got 26.82 m/s but I don't know where to go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I would first try drawing a diagram of the problem and see if you figure it out from there.

You could also assign the other train a velocity of x and think about velocity addition and how it may help you solve it.

Think about what it means for two trains to pass in 0.5 secs as in front to front and end to end.

I drew a sketch but that didn't seem to help much. I was thinking maybe 26.82 m/s x 0.5s = 13.02 m/s. I'm just really confused.

Starsfall said:
I drew a sketch but that didn't seem to help much. I was thinking maybe 26.82 m/s x 0.5s = 13.02 m/s. I'm just really confused.
It will be simplest to work in terms of relative motion. Consider an observer traveling at the rear of train A. The observer considers A to be stationary, so sees B traveling at the combined speed.
The observer sees the front of train B pass the front of train A, then half a second later the rear of train B pass herself. How far does it appear that train B has moved in that time?

haruspex said:
It will be simplest to work in terms of relative motion. Consider an observer traveling at the rear of train A. The observer considers A to be stationary, so sees B traveling at the combined speed.
The observer sees the front of train B pass the front of train A, then half a second later the rear of train B pass herself. How far does it appear that train B has moved in that time?

Would it be 75 meters?

r26h said:
Would it be 75 meters?
Yes.

r26h said:
Would it be 75 meters?
Can you now answer the second question, the relative velocity?

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of Train B?

The formula for calculating the speed of Train B is distance divided by time: speed = distance / time. This is known as the basic formula for speed in physics.

2. How do I determine the distance traveled by Train B?

To determine the distance traveled by Train B, you will need to have the speed and time data. You can use the formula distance = speed * time to calculate the distance traveled by Train B.

3. Can I use different units for speed and distance?

Yes, you can use different units for speed and distance as long as they are consistent. For example, if the speed is given in miles per hour, the distance should be in miles as well. If the speed is in meters per second, the distance should be in meters.

4. How do I find the time taken by Train B to travel a certain distance?

The time taken by Train B can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the speed. This can be represented by the formula: time = distance / speed. Make sure the units are consistent for accurate results.

5. What are the common units used for speed and distance in physics?

The most commonly used units for speed in physics are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). For distance, meters (m) and kilometers (km) are widely used. However, depending on the context, other units such as miles (mi) and feet (ft) may also be used.