How Can I Optimize Airflow Across Different RPMs for My Motorcycle Engine Build?

In summary: The mean gas velocity is defined as ##v_g = 2ns\frac{d^2}{d_v^2}## where ##n## is the rpm, ##s## is the stroke, ##d## is the bore and ##d_v## is the valve diameter.The volumetric efficiency at a given mean gas velocity can be found using the following equation: ##E_v(v_g) = \frac{P_v(v)}{P_g(v)}## where ##P_v(v)## is the pressure at the valve at the given mean gas velocity, and ##P_g(v)## is the pressure at the gas exit from the valve.At a
puxley
Ok so here it goes,
I have a motorbike,and as I am a learning engineer I want to build a second engine for a few reasons, firstly I want to go faster secondly I want to do all the work myself to learn, thirdly I want to become a better engineer and want to do lots of paper work to learn and see how close I can get predictions.

I can see this as a very difficult undertaking as there are many veriables but nothing like a good challenge to get things going.
My problem is I need your fabulous help.
And if anyone wants to give me some homework and reading please push me in the right direction.

Ok the engine will have a bore and stroke of 56x47
It is a inline 4. We will say it is running a compression ratio of 13:1.
So with that being said will need a clearance volume of 10.7081cc per cylinder.

This would mean (not including the clearance volume) it "could" move 3726.498 lm @14500 rpm and 514.007 @ 2000rpm now is where it gets tricky, I would like to try find a flow rate that is productive through the rev range, how would I find out the the best air velocity to do this as I'm not too interested about massive cross sectional area for peak Bhp.

I also will not be near a flow bench till Jan so this is all just numbers to aim for until then. As I understand it (correct me where I am wrong) once I have these rough numbers I can than look towards the cam design to try match them.

Sorry this is so long.
Thanks for reading.
Puxley

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Testing a complete new engine design cannot begin until the project is complete. Then everything will fail at once, or you will be unable to point the finger at one faulty component since they come in connected groups.

Consider instead an “apprenticeship” making replacement parts for an existing engine. Calculate everything you need to understand the existing engine design and parts specifications. Each component will be an analysis, design and fabrication job in it's own right. Mastering the skills necessary need only be done once. At every point you can swap out and test components.

Once you know what you are doing you will be in a position to design and make components for an improved engine. You might consider taking an existing two cylinder design and extending it to a four cylinder engine. Will you make your own pistons and rings or buy standard components ?

By progressively replacing old with new you will end up with a complete handmade engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Likes anorlunda
No the Pistons and rings will be from a company that had them built for these bikes especially. I will be doing the machining of the ends of the new crank, the barrels the decking, and the head work, I mainly want to do the calculations to get a better understanding of how everything relates to each other, I have full confidence in everything except the head where the Calcs will be more for fun as I won't get any real world application until it's on a flow bench, thank you for your reply

According to the https://www.amazon.com/dp/0837603331/?tag=pfamazon01-20, p. 406, «The highest volumetric efficiency values are achieved at mean gas velocities of 90 ... 110 m/s (empirical values).»

The mean gas velocity is defined as ##v_g = 2ns\frac{d^2}{d_v^2}## where ##n## is the rpm, ##s## is the stroke, ##d## is the bore and ##d_v## is the valve diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome thanks for the info!

1. What are the basic components needed for a motorcycle engine build?

The basic components needed for a motorcycle engine build include the engine block, pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, camshaft, valves, valve springs, timing chain or belt, oil pump, and gaskets.

2. What tools and equipment are required for a motorcycle engine build?

Some of the essential tools and equipment needed for a motorcycle engine build are a torque wrench, socket set, pliers, screwdrivers, engine stand, piston ring compressor, and a valve spring compressor.

3. Can I use aftermarket parts for my motorcycle engine build?

Yes, you can use aftermarket parts for your motorcycle engine build. However, it is important to ensure that the parts are compatible with your engine and are of good quality to avoid any potential issues.

4. How do I know if my motorcycle engine build is successful?

You can test the success of your motorcycle engine build through a compression test, leakdown test, and a visual inspection. You can also take the bike for a test ride and monitor its performance and any unusual noises or vibrations.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while building a motorcycle engine?

Yes, it is crucial to take safety precautions while building a motorcycle engine. This includes wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper procedures to avoid injuries or accidents.