Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mounting a small ultrasonic sensor to a continuous rotation servo

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1

Jae

I'm an Arduino electronics hobbyist I'm not a professional electrical engineer.

How would I mount a small ultrasonic sensor on a continuous rotation servo, without tangling the wires? How would I fix this problem easily and what's the most common way to mount electronics in a rotating object?

Sensor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U13URQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 3, 2015 #3

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Rotary transformer might solve your issue.

5. Jan 3, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Or battery power and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to link the data...

6. Jan 3, 2015 #5
    Rotary transformers can be found in old VCRs. They coupled the spinning video head to the signal processing section. I wouldn't guess that a single winding would have sufficient magnetizing inductance for your frequency, but many of these had four windings that could be jumped in series for a much lower frequency response.
    You might also mount the transducer facing up (or down), and use a reflective shape that is spinning on the servo to direct it sideways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook