Calculating Impact of Moving Object on Stationary One

In summary, if the objects are of the same material and the stationary one is not anchored, and they won't shatter or explode, something like whacking a croquet ball with a mallet will move it.
moo
Hi all,

How does one calculate the point where impact of a moving object actually begins to move a stationary one, rather than just make noise?

Let's keep it simple and assume the objects are of the same material, the stationary one is not anchored, and they won't shatter or explode. Something like whacking a croquet ball with a mallet (lol, the things that keep me awake at night... :biggrin: )

If the answer is too time consuming, perhaps someone has a link?

Thanks, moo

Physics news on Phys.org
moo said:
How does one calculate the point where impact of a moving object actually begins to move a stationary one, rather than just make noise?

It depends on the geometry of the objects.

It depends on the geometry of the objects.
Hmmm... ok that makes sense.

How about two identical cubes impacting on flat surfaces then (one stationary, one moving)?

Thanks, moo

Last edited:
I guess friction must be considered on this as well, otherwise the slightest touch would cause the stationary one to move... wouldn't it?

moo

Well, that depends on the 'orientation' of the cubes. There can be either a plane of impact, or a line of impact.

Well, that depends on the 'orientation' of the cubes. There can be either a plane of impact, or a line of impact.
Lol, this is kinda like pulling teeth.

Maybe you can ask the question so I can get an answer? :biggrin:

Thanks, moo

moo said:
Lol, this is kinda like pulling teeth.

Maybe you can ask the question so I can get an answer? :biggrin:

Thanks, moo

State your question more clear, and it won't be like pulling teeth. :smile:

Lol, ok I'll try again and change it up a bit...

Let's say we have two blocks (A and B).
Block dimensions are in inches, weights are in pounds (hey I tried to get you to ask the question).

A is 2x2x2 (a cube) and weighs 1 pound.
B is 2x2x4 and weighs 2 pounds.
B is stationary, A is moving.
One of A's flat 2x2 sides perfectly impacts B's flat 2x2 end and moves it.

What is the relationship between A's mass & velocity and B's mass & distance moved? Btw, feel free to fill in any blanks I've prolly left... :biggrin:

Thanks, moo

moo said:
What is the relationship between A's mass & velocity and B's mass & distance moved? Btw, feel free to fill in any blanks I've prolly left... :biggrin:

Hm, you may want to look at this: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Collision.html" . I hope it helps. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that should get me started. :smile:

moo

well... momentum is always conserved. if you assume elastic collision, then you can assume that mechanical energy is also consered.
Last but not least, angular momentum is conserved if there is no external torque. (so you can calculate rotations and stuff..)

momentum is defined as [tex]\vec{p}=m\vec{v}[/tex] in Newtonian physics. now, force=change in momentum per time, and according to Newton's third law, the force of object 1 on object 2 is equal and opposite direction of the force of object 2 on object 1. so the total change of momentum (a system of these two objects) is zero, momentum is conserved.

in linear case,
[tex]m_1v_1+m_2v_2=m_1v'_1+m_2v'_2[/tex]

since there are 2 unknowns, there must be some constrains or assumptions in the system in order to calculate both of these unknowns... maybe you can assume that the objects stick together, or assume that kinetic energy is conserved... or other stuffs...

Last edited:
Thanks Tim. :smile:

I realize you guys deal with incredible precision (and therefore my questions may drive you crazy sometimes), but I'm often just looking for a general estimate. Such as...

Does a half-size croquet mallet need to move roughly twice the speed of a regular one to whack a ball the same distance?

Sheesh, it's just croquet. Lol, and I don't even play... :biggrin:

Thanks, moo

1. How do you calculate the impact of a moving object on a stationary one?

To calculate the impact of a moving object on a stationary one, you will need to know the mass and velocity of both objects. Use the equation F = m x a to calculate the force of the moving object. Then, use the equation F = m x v to calculate the force of the stationary object. Finally, subtract the force of the stationary object from the force of the moving object to determine the impact force.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the force of a collision?

The angle of impact can significantly affect the force of a collision. When the angle of impact is perpendicular, the force is maximized. When the angle is oblique, the force is reduced. This is because the force of impact is dependent on the component of the force that is perpendicular to the surface of impact.

4. Can the impact force of a moving object on a stationary one be calculated for all types of collisions?

No, the impact force cannot be calculated for all types of collisions. For example, in a perfectly elastic collision, the impact force would be zero since the objects bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. Additionally, the impact force cannot be calculated for collisions where the objects stick together after impact, as the force would depend on the materials and structure of the objects.

5. How can the impact of a moving object on a stationary one be minimized?

The impact of a moving object on a stationary one can be minimized by decreasing the velocity of the moving object. This can be achieved by increasing the distance between the objects or by implementing safety measures such as cushioning materials. Additionally, the angle of impact can also be adjusted to minimize the force of the collision.